the wrench

An Impromptu Trip to Moab, Fruita, both??

Work seems to be having me down in the salt lake area somewhat often these days. I have gotten out to park city for some DH once before the winter but want to start taking advantage of getting some time to discover some epic trails!

I am likely, 70%, going to be down again in the first or second week of April. Checking the weather reports are making me think the Moab and Fruita would be too good to pass up on this trip. Id be driving from SLC and spending 2-4 days (more or less cost dependent) in the area.

Now for my big questions:
    1. rent (something full squish 4/5") or bring my own ride? cost on this decision is less of a factor than what will give me a more appropriate ride. Right now if I were to bring my own ride it would be either a XC race hardtail or a xc/trail SS (16:32; 26"). As far as bike setup the SS loves the technical but being early in the season I don't want to completely kill myself on the ascents.

2. For someone that loves technical, flowy and tight, what are the trails I should be putting on my itinerary.

3. Anyone care to join me as a tour guide and post ride beers on some short notice as I wont know my schedule until a couple days before?
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Fruita is about 3 - 4 hour drive from SLC and I presume Moab would be about that distance give or take some.

If you have 2 - 4 days to ride, then you could do both Fruita and Moab (they are only about 1 1/2 hours from each other).

In Fruita, or Grand Junction to be more precise, the Lunch Loops may be your cup of tea for technical, flowy trail and you can download a trail guide for the lunch loops and pick from whatever trails you would like to ride there - most of them will give you a mix of technical and flowy - Holy Cross is a popular trail and I have ridden it a few times and it has enough of both you make you happy - shuttle up to the top of The Ribbon which is an awesome ride down. You can combine the Ribbon and Holy Cross to make a really nice 2 - 4 hour ride depending on how much you stop for pictures and such.

In Moab, there are a ton of ride options available. Not sure how much of the enchilade will be open (I presume Burro Pass and possibly Hazard may not be open in early April) so you would be looking UPS/LPS/porcupine rim if you wanted to do the epic or Mag 7 if you wanted another epic. Moab Brand trails are fun as well - I have ridden those and had a lot of fun.

Hope your trip is fun and exciting.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

the wrench
    So things have been finalized. I will be getting next weekend to ride some Moab!!!

So far my plans are this:
    Saturday: Get set up with rental bike and get in on a shuttle for the whole enchilada.
    Sunday: I haven't a clue but definately want to figure out a ride as long as im not too urting.

My big questions now is:
    1) How to get from trailhead to the car/shop when finished the ride?
    2) What good technical trails are ridable from somewhere I can park that dont involve hours of climbing just to get to the good stuff?
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Check out the Fruita Fat Tire Festival on April 25-28th. Free bikes demos from all the big names, and awesome festival...

the wrench
    Wish I could but unfortunately I'm only getting this saturday and sunday out here.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    For your second ride, you may want to do Amasa Back-Pot Hole Arch-Rockstacker-Amasa Back-Captain Ahab

Here is a link for a video of the new Captain Ahab trail:
    Cool video of new trail in MOAB - Captain Ahab

Here is a link to maps:

http://www.grandcountyutah.net/trail...Amasa_Back.pdf

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by garboui View Post
    Saturday: Get set up with rental bike and get in on a shuttle for the whole enchilada.
    Good luck with The Whole Enchilada in April - bring your snowshoes.

I believe it will only be open up to UPS - you could probably get a shuttle up to Sand Flats/Kokopelli junction and climb the Kokopelli to access UPS.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

the wrench
    3sigma, that may just be my new plans for Sunday. I was hooked after watching that same video in my hotel room last night.

Noah, Bryan from porcine shuttles mentioned that when I talked to him. well see how far I can get come Saturday afternoon :-)

ps, guides that work for beer still welcome!
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Check with Coyote Shuttle. They are really helpful in planning and vehicle drop/pickup options. Ask them about mag 7.

Contact Us | Coyote Shuttle - Moab Bike Shuttle