Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

I want to move out of Florida, but where to?

I want to get out of Florida and find a state that has year round riding, XC/ AM, I used to live in the Northwest but the constant rain was dreadful, loved the area just not the weather. Since I now live in Florida I love the blue skys and mild winters but I need hills!! So can you all help me find somewhere with good riding and good weather?

Year round ratings
    Weather 1-10
    Trails 1-10
    Hills 1-10

I would even consider moving out of country
    Looking forward to your responses!

AZ
    banned
    Arizona and New Mexico both have areas with fantastic year round riding opportunities.

mtbr member
    I rode year round in Maine this year

Year round riding is fun but why not move to an area where you can experience some great winter activities like skiing or boarding?

Weather 8
    trails 8
    Hills 8

Clyde
    Utah if you can deal with the local culture. Colorado if you can't. Epic riding is accessible year around in either if you don't mind a little driving. I'm 30 minutes of over a hundred miles of trails. Check out Utah mountain biking club site which documents a large portion of the trails.
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Florida sucks and it will be underwater sooner than you can say Koch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    An improvement??

LOL California has some awesome weather and nice hills, but all the social negatives are not even worth considering moving there

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I hear there is great riding in Las Vegas. If you can handle the heat
    If I was to move anywhere I think Colorado would be my choice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am looking and into the Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona Most of it seems like a high desert, so trying to find some woods/ forests near there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by treilley View Post
    I rode year round in Maine this year

Year round riding is fun but why not move to an area where you can experience some great winter activities like skiing or boarding?

Weather 8
    trails 8
    Hills 8
    Dude, Maine is a 1 on the weather scale. Who are you kidding? I grew up there and it is terrible weather.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellowyellow01 View Post
    I am looking and into the Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona Most of it seems like a high desert, so trying to find some woods/ forests near there.

Much forest in all the states you list, have a look around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Head west young man.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    An improvement??

LOL California has some awesome weather and nice hills, but all the social negatives are not even worth considering moving there
    I live in San Diego and we do have some great trails but some recent fiscal and environmental ******baggery has severely limited legal access to some truly epic riding. Not to mention the "social negatives" you mentioned however those really depend on where you live.

I came from N.C. and I can say that if you plant yourself somewhere close to the middle of that state you have some really great options as far a riding goes. Weather is generally mild although humid but being from Florida you should be used to that. Winters will be cold but not North Dakota type cold. And the state has pretty good job opportunities and the economy is not so bad.
    Weather= 7
    Riding, trails = 7
    Hills, depends on where you are.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Don't come to California. The "social negatives" will destroy your life and your family will be ashamed of you ... you might even turn "liberal", gasp!

SS Rider
    This is what is hard for me living in CO. I moved here from FL. CO is a better option then New Mex or AZ and I would consider it a good alternative from somewhere like WA or FL. Personally I like the West side of NC but work was the driving factor for me so I ended in CO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Texas

San Antonio; Job market is doing well, cost is living is reasonable and the riding is pretty good year round. Great trails in town and excellent trails from within 30 minutes to 1.5 hours away. It's called Hill Country for a reason. I lived there for 2 years, I do miss it.

Dallas; Suprisingly good riding, but the metroplex is a little too big for my taste, i live in the burb which is good for riding, but bad for socialization and my type of entertainment. I'm leaving soon and I will definitely come back to visit the trails.

Austin; My next stop, Great in town trails, shares the same awesome out of town trails as San Antonio with a few more being closer. Great bike culture, kind of due to a guy who wore yellow a lot. For me the people make it the place to be, very fit and outdoorsy crowd...and mellow. Great beer everywhere! Job market sucks as far as I have seen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What do you do for a living? Move to where you can find a job but also has great MTBing opportunities. Personally, I've lived in NOVA for all my life. Many good trails in the DC Metro area, MORE-MTB.org is the local organization, and there are plenty of jobs. For now, the mandatory budget cuts if Congress and Prez can't get their acts together will make it difficult for many in this area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Appliance repair and home repair. Pretty much could do that anywhere there is over 100k people. I just have to save up go on vacation in that general area for a couple weeks and see if I like any of it.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Grand Junction, Colorado is my dream location.....Moab 1 1/2 hours away and GJ is plum full of sweet trails.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Interested in this as well. My wife and I are thinking about relocating to Colorado (or somewhere else) from SC to get into more MTB and outdoor activities. Everyone one this thread is mentioning States, but what about specific cities? Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Been in Bozeman, MT area for 10 years and love it. Came from New England. TONS of outdoor stuff. Small town vibe. College town so a little more going on. World class skiing, mtn bike, fishing, hiking, etc. Awesome. Gotta like skiing or something though for the winters...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Pretty much anywhere on the Western Slope in Colorado. Outside of the higher elevations, the winters are pretty mild, and the summers are outstanding.

The riding..... well
    39.5506 N, 107.3242 W

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_exhaust View Post
    Pretty much anywhere on the Western Slope in Colorado. Outside of the higher elevations, the winters are pretty mild, and the summers are outstanding.

The riding..... well
    And the employment opportunities ... ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    And the employment opportunities ... ?
    Depends on where you wind up and how willing you are to commute. Skilled trades are almost always in demand, but in many cases it's seasonal work and may require travel.

Check the Western Slope Co CL and you'll see there is work available for those with HVAC, plumbing, light electrical etc., but it does require a lot of flexibility and willingness to travel.
    39.5506 N, 107.3242 W

mtbr member
    I do year round in Texas, south side Dallas to be exact. Lots of good trails down here and there are tons more around and even a little west in Fort Worth. Got the itch for something different spend the weekend in Austin which is a 3 hour drive. It does get hot sometimes though, 108 yesterday but it gives me a reason to dust off the trainer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Flagstaff, Arizona if you want cooler temperatures and lots of snow in the winter. They get a surprising amount of snow but warmer riding climates are just a few hours away such as sedona and phoenix.

I want to move to Flagstaff
    scratches and dents show character on the bike or rider

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast