mtbr member
    Sep 2016

I live in Michigan. Where should I go mountain biking out of state?

I live in Michigan and for those that are familiar I have biked trails such as Merrel, Lutton, Yankee Springs, Edwards Creek, and Cannonsburg.

Myself and one other person are looking to go on a trip with more diverse terrain. We are looking at the Appalachians currently but are open to suggestions.

The Appalachians are a 9 hour drive and we like that drive time.

Any suggestions as to where we should go that has more technical terrain, we are looking for mountains where theres uphill and a a whole lot of downhill.

Again if anyone is familiar with the Michigan trails I listed those trails have become easy for us and we are looking for something quite a bit more challenging and are willing to make the drive. We will be staying for 5 days.

Thanks for the suggestions!

All fat, all the time.
    Pisgah NC. (Brevard area)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Maybe Scotland, but if you don't like rain, try the Canary Islands. Both are outside Michigan . Have you tried Copper Harbor?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Marquette has a nice diverse trail system, along with a nice small town. Went up last summer for a long weekend and had a great time riding trails a little more challenging than anything in the lowerP.
    2015 Pivot 429sl XX1 build

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevormtb View Post
    I live in Michigan and for those that are familiar I have biked trails such as Merrel, Lutton, Yankee Springs, Edwards Creek, and Cannonsburg.

Myself and one other person are looking to go on a trip with more diverse terrain. We are looking at the Appalachians currently but are open to suggestions.

The Appalachians are a 9 hour drive and we like that drive time.

Any suggestions as to where we should go that has more technical terrain, we are looking for mountains where theres uphill and a a whole lot of downhill.

Again if anyone is familiar with the Michigan trails I listed those trails have become easy for us and we are looking for something quite a bit more challenging and are willing to make the drive. We will be staying for 5 days.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Downieville/Lakes Basin...
    Yuba Expeditions Downieville Shuttle and Bike Shop

one sick puppy
    If you are driving, and I'm not sure how far it is( probably 11 hours) Arkansas is really nice. Way underrated in my opinion. I've ridden Womble, Eureka Springs, Syllamo and I've really liked all of them. We get to Colorado, Utah or Arizona in the fall but for and those are the best but for a shorter drive Arkansas would be pretty nice.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I suggest the Pisgah region of NC or the Harrisonburg area of VA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by YetiBear View Post
    If you are driving, and I'm not sure how far it is( probably 11 hours) Arkansas is really nice. Way underrated in my opinion. I've ridden Womble, Eureka Springs, Syllamo and I've really liked all of them. We get to Colorado, Utah or Arizona in the fall but for and those are the best but for a shorter drive Arkansas would be pretty nice.
    This but I would base out of Bentonville. The IMBA summit was just held here and you would struggle to get through every trial, especially if you include Eureka Springs, in the NWA area in a week.

Coler is just recently opened and is much more AM/Enduro oriented with quite a few trails and more going in every day. Slaughter Pen and Blowing Springs have sections with amazing flow. You're not going to get the elevation change of CO or Moab but it is world class riding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

always licking the glass
    So are you looking international? Driving? Flying? Camping? Hoteling? Terrain? Time of year? All different things can impact that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I used to live in Ann Arbor, MI. I did trips to Slatyfork, WV and Bent Creek/Pisgah near Asheville, NC.

I also rode Jim Thorpe, PA and would guess it's under 9 hours drive.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Co Springs
    What about Canada ?

You can't get much closer to a neighbor than that. I don't know of anything specific there but in my years of living in MI, our travels took us to the northern area past the U.P. then a right turn toward a little town of Bruce Mines. Crazy beautiful and trees and lakes, miles of dirt roads etc.. Maybe take time doing some trail searching for listings just because it's so nearby. If you come up short, I see some other suggestions here with specifics adding up as alternatives.
    Quite possibly, the Canada destination goes easier on your funds and you can live it up a bit more !
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Save up your time away from work, add another 11 hours of drive time, and go to Crested Butte, CO in the middle of July. Take a week there. You will have the time of your life! CB is the very definition of mountain biking paradise!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    Save up your time away from work, add another 11 hours of drive time, and go to Crested Butte, CO in the middle of July. Take a week there. You will have the time of your life! CB is the very definition of mountain biking paradise!
    This. Hit the 401. Lots of trail options and a Bike Park. Was there last August, going back this August. Plane tickets are cheap if you get them way ahead of time. I shipped my bike last year, I would probably just rent one next time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    since this thread got dug back up I too am looking for something in upper MI that would fit the bill of having a nice quaint town area. I've been talking to the wife about doing a family long weekend or something in Northern MI(we live in Rochester) with the kids. So something with fun trails for me and then other woodsie activities for the the kiddos. Small town type deal where we could rent a cabin/house.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Brown County, Marquette, and Copper Harbor. Bentonville.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jahkneefive View Post
    since this thread got dug back up I too am looking for something in upper MI that would fit the bill of having a nice quaint town area. I've been talking to the wife about doing a family long weekend or something in Northern MI(we live in Rochester) with the kids. So something with fun trails for me and then other woodsie activities for the the kiddos. Small town type deal where we could rent a cabin/house.
    Love Marquette, but its a haul from Rochester for a long WE. Try the Petoskey area. Its near enough to the two Boynes, sections of the North Country Trail, Avalanche and/or the High School trails in Boyne City and Aspen in Gaylord. Lots of good and varied riding. Lot's of stuff for non-riders to do.