mtbr member

Hilton Head, SC Trip

Hey everyone, I'm heading to Hilton Head for a week of vacation. I'll be taking my new bike with me, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any trails/single track they can recommend. I'll actually be staying on the island with family, but anything within a short driving distance (or ride!) would be great to know.

I can see a lot of street paths and along those lines, but I was hoping or something a little more AM or XC.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyamine View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm heading to Hilton Head for a week of vacation. I'll be taking my new bike with me, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any trails/single track they can recommend. I'll actually be staying on the island with family, but anything within a short driving distance (or ride!) would be great to know.

I can see a lot of street paths and along those lines, but I was hoping or something a little more AM or XC.

Thanks!
    Uh, they call it the low country. There is nothing fun to ride on Hilton Head. Bring a road bike. Better yet, leave it all behind and bring a pair of running shoes.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Don't bother with MTB'ing on HHI. Instead, leave your bike at home and rent a kayak for a couple of days. Head over to the Beaufort area, put the kayak in the water at one of the boat launches, and go out for a few hours. You won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    I brought my bike with me since I don't have a road bike at this point. I've had a good time putting the miles on it regardless, even though most of the island is flat and paved. HHI is very bike friendly in general.

I did find a park thanks to this link:
    Crossings Park: Hilton Head Island MTB and Reviews

Crossings Park is just over the 278 bridge on the west side of the island. The trails were nothing crazy, but someone has spent some time setting up a few things to liven them up. After riding on sidewalks and road all day, any trail riding was great. There was also a fun little section off the circle for Haig Point and the park itself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There are bike "trails" on Hunting Island, east of Beaufort, but that's probably an hour from HHI and not worth the drive given the trails aren't much more than sandy walking paths.