mtbr member

Help in planning trip to Whistler area

Buddy & I are planning a quick 1st trip to Whistler in July - it will be get in, get out & all about riding. We originally thought about doing an epic road trip, but not enough time, so we are flying in (from 2 different locations in CA) - it will be a 5 day trip w/ about 4 days of riding.

Since time is short, it seems to make the most sense to fly into Vancouver, rent a vehicle, then drive to Whistler, & maybe hit a spot or 3 on the way there & back - my previous experience is that my body is maybe good for a day of doing DH lift-served trails. We will bring our AM bikes but likely rent DH bikes at the park.

I read other posts saying it was better to fly into Bellingham or Seattle & drive the extra hour or 3 b/c of hassles w/ customs, increased costs, etc. Any thoughts? Then once there, is it best to set up a home base somewhere in the middle and just stay there and do day trips, or move to different spots throughout the stay? Any recommendations on where to stay w/ a bike?

Any other words of wisdom are much appreciated on how to make this the best trip!

mtbr member

Re: Help in planning trip to Whistler area

I live in whistler, my first tip would be find a way to make your trip longer

Staying in whistler the whole time would be the best, fun place to be once your done your day of riding. You don't need to drive anywhere in whistler unless you're lazy, furthest you'd have to go from the village is like a 30 min road/paved path pedal if you're hitting kill me thrill me or cheakamus trails or going up stonebridge to the flank.

Staying in whistler village proper would be best, every kind of hotel you can imagine there so depends what you like and they're all bike friendly but some make you put them in a storage room and don't allow them in rooms which can be sketchy. Tantalus lodge I know allows bikes in rooms if they're clean. Sunpath and stoney creek lagoons and all those little condos on northlands Blvd you can bring them in too.

Look up the dates of the iron man event and try to avoid it because the hwy will be closed. Same goes for the squamish and pemberton music festivals crazy amounts of hippies en route!

Only four days of riding... I guess try to ride 2 days out of the park and two days in the park? If you fly in kinda early you could hit up the park when you first get here, discounted lift tickets after 4 (open til eight) Or find a way to do a quick ride in squamish or north van. Really though find more time... anything else you wanna know ask away
    Last edited by kevin267; 04-04-2014 at 07:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the great answer kev. Since you live there, you may not have a strong opinion on whether it is better top fly into Van or Bellingham & drive from there? It is definitely a bit cheaper to fly & rent from w/in the US, but probably only worth saving the cash if it is a hassle to get through customs w/ a big bike bag.

Also, to follow up on your previous answer - you are saying there are good lung-powered AM trails w/in pedaling distance of the village - so we can find enough good stuff w/in riding distance to keep us busy on the 2 days we won't be on the lifts?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    yeah there's lots, hitting squamish or north van would be awesome too but it's up to you if you want to do much driving.

Here's a free (older, missing quite a few trails but gives you an idea) of the pedally trails outside of the bike park: TrailCheckIn | Whistler Bike Trail Map

Following the race courses from some of the events over the last few years would be a good way to get a ridiculous ride in getting a taste of everything but would be really hard haha
    funduro course: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...-yC3nohtg/edit
    four kings: Four Kings, but only one crown | Upcoming | Pique Newsmagazine | Whistler, CANADA

enduro world series course Enduro World Series Whistler Schedule and Course - NSMB.com

Edit, guess I should add, don't know about flying to bham instead, I guess figure out how much you're saving by being roughly 2 hours further, depending on border line ups. And smaller airport, no idea what you would get if you're renting a vehicle, Vancouvers big has everything. Also there's airport to whistler shuttles if you don't rent.
    Last edited by kevin267; 04-05-2014 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm trying to figure out if there is a bus/shuttle directly from the Vancouver airport to Whistler mountain. We don't want to rent a car if it's not necessary!!

mtbr member