mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Help me plan my road trip! East Coast, 1 week, go!

Hey guys, would love some input on the trails I have to hit on my way summer vacation! I live in Atlanta, and I've been nominated for an award from the National Cadillac Club at their Grand Nationals up in Boston on August 3rd. I can leave after work the night of 7/26 & as long as I get there by the night of the 2nd I can do whatever I want on the way up. So, that's 7 days...1200 miles, nice easy drive in that amount of time.

SO...Where are good XC trails for me to stop in & ride along the way? The most direct route would take me through Atlanta, Charlotte, Richmond, Washington DC, Philly, New York, and in to Boston through the rest of New England.

I figure 4-5 rides along the way aiming for XC trails around 10-15 miles each so I'm not totally dead. I figure as long as I'm averaging 3-400 miles a day I can spend half the days slacking off & doing whatever I want.

I have to drive straight back after though, only have 2 days between when the event ends & I'm supposed to be back at the office so I'll have to drive those trucker style with no side track fun.

So, where should I ride???

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Fair Hill MD. A short @4 mile trip off I95. White Clay/ Middle Run DE, roughly same distance. Stop for the night in Newark DE (MD 279 exit) and hit up miles and miles of single track visiting both parks. Throw in Iron Hill(visible form the DE/MD toll plaza), enough for 3 days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks, that looks great! Especially Middle Run, did a youtube search & there's some videos of fun flowy stuff there. That area will definitely get a spot on the route! Not sure I'll be able to spend 3 days there but it sounds like I'll want to!

So google maps says that's about 350 miles from the event in MA, so it'll probably be the last stop on my trip, I'll plan to arrive there Wednesday night, spend Thursday riding as many of those trails as I can, then stay the night & head in to Boston Friday morning. Awesome!!

So now I've got the space between Atlanta & DE to cover, and 4 days to play with...I'm off to a good start!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Post your plan in the Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware forum. You'll probably get some good tips there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ah yeah, good idea. I was actually thinking I might do a little DC sightseeing now that yo mention it...

For the first leg, anybody know of anything good near Ashville NC? I always hear good things about that town.

mtbr member
    If it was me I'd B line to Md then head up to vermont Tons of places north of boston.
    Really there are more great trails that you can day trip right from boston than you could hit in one week.
    All those southern spots you can probably do in a long weekend. Have fun trip

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ooooooh....good point! Ashville is only a couple hundred miles from here, I can go there any time. Good thought! I can go past MA & swing back down when it's time for the Caddy event.

Ok, so now anywhere within a day of Boston is open too!

mtbr member
    I am an hour north of boston and can give a tour of my trails in Hampstead nh anytime. Places to look into kingdom trails, milestone. Ascutney in vermont those would be the farthest. Chime in on the Massachusetts forum or the vermont nh me forum. I would say harold parker in Andover ma. Fort rock in Exeter nh. Bearbrook park in Epsom nh. Poke around in the Massachusetts forum for more ideas

mtbr member
    Kingdom trails are amazing. I traveled from Australia to NYC and did a road trip up there, and it was worth it. Wish I lived closer!!
    'keep the mission alive!'

More than one, of course!
    If you get up to Boston early I could show you around a few great trails close to the city (within 30-45min). XC to as tech as you want it.
    Have fun.
    FR
    "It's NEVER all downhill" DMR

mtbr member
    Blue Mountain, Peekskill, NY.

http://www.mechamaniac.com/misc/wmba...thomegrown.jpg

check wmba.org for more info.

SPP

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Great responses guys! I'm getting so psyched for this trip! PitchCrew & far raider, as I get closer to the date I'm going to be in touch with you guys, I'd love to take both of ya up on your offers to show me around the trails! And SlowPokePet, Blue Mountain sounds cool...if I'm up for an asskicking still by the time I get to that point of the trip!

So, I'll sit down with a map in the next week or so & start plotting this out, where I can find nearby campgrounds...travel time, stuff like that.

Oh, and rig selection...I was hoping to bring my hard tail single speed, will I be happier on a full susp. with gears? I really like my SS better for the most part...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill-E-BoB View Post
    Oh, and rig selection...I was hoping to bring my hard tail single speed, will I be happier on a full susp. with gears? I really like my SS better for the most part...
    SS all the way!

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    The Brandywine in DE was always a favorite of mine.
    Whether you're peddling or twisting the wrist...you're still riding on two wheels...and that's good enough for me

mtbr member
    If the SS is your favorite bring that, My trails are 90% SS friendly, if you end up hooking up with us. Group ride is wednesday night. But as i said we can ride anytime. I can cut out of work even lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Awesome, I'll try to schedule to be there Wednesday then Pitchcrew! Man, this is gunna be awesome. Is it July yet?????

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Also, anything in Fair Hill, White Clay, Middle Run or Brandywine will be OK with a SS if that's what you're used to riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by PitchCrew View Post
    If the SS is your favorite bring that, My trails are 90% SS friendly, if you end up hooking up with us. Group ride is wednesday night. But as i said we can ride anytime. I can cut out of work even lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey guys, got my trip all planned out & I'm leaving at the end of the month! So excited! Thanks for all the help figuring out where to go, you guys are awesome!

Far Raider, check your private messages! I'll be in Boston a day early to do some riding if you're free!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Asheville NC is amazing. Asheville has Pisgah and DuPont! 2 places well worth the drive.

mtbr member

To come that far and not mtbvt would be a shame.