mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Heading to Maine

Planning on hopping region to region starting on the coast and then heading inland. Any suggestions on where to ride?

mtbr member
    Some of my favorites.

In the Portland area:
    Bradbury mtn state park. Ride on the east side of the road from the parking area.
    Presumpscot River trail. Check with Allspeed BS
    Blackstrap Hill. Check with Allspeed BS
    Prides Corner. Check with Allspeed BS
    Greely loop in Cumberland. See my review in the trails section.

Augusta area: Both of these require some local knowledge but Auclairs BS in Augusta can help you.
    Summerhaven. A nice loop with some sand pits for playing
    Kennebec highlands. Lots of vertical and great views.
    Last edited by likeaboss; 01-26-2012 at 10:31 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Not sure if you're still headed to Maine, but head to Orono. Once there, stop in at Rose Bike and ask for a land trust map and when the next shop ride is headed out. Between Land Trust, University, Bangor City Forest, Old Town, and Veazie there are well over a 100 miles of single track. You'll have your fill of roots and rocks. It's a great trails system and the guys at Rose are the best. When you want to take a break grab a burrito at Verve or a drink later at Woodmans. Have a good time!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Still going. Figure I'll have 2-3 days in the Portland area and then a couple days near Bangor. We'll head inland after that and make our way back to NJ. I'll probably only have 2 days to ride because I'll be with the family so I want to get to the best spots I can.

mtbr member
    Do Bradbury when in Portland. It is about 25 minutes north from the city. It is the best all around riding you can do in southern Maine. Not sure about Bangor. I do some work up there but have never ridden anything in the area.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you're headed to the Bangor area, stop in at Rose Bike in Orono. They can fill you in on all the local trails (Bangor City Forest, University Trails, Old Town Trails, and Veazie Trails). If you visit on a Monday they have a 5:30 shop ride and they're usually out most evenings after 5:30. If you like technical roots and rocks, you'll really like the trails around Bangor/Orono/Old Town.

Have fun

Paste eater
    Bradbury is great and well marked. In Portland, the river trail all the way to westbrook is awesome, but route finding is tough once you get to 26/100. The trails out in West Falmouth Preserve are also awesome, though last time I rode there route finding was tough too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'll be visiting the Bar Harbor area. Anything in that neck of the woods?

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^ There are 45 miles of carriage paths on MDI. It is better cross bike material than mountain biking. I'm not sure what Acadia national park's rules are about riding on hiking trails but most of them are too rugged (at least for me).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks! I will get some cross tires for my bianchi san jose, that'll do the trick. I may have to travel a bit to find some actual mtn bike trails but I'm sure there are some not too far away.