mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Headed to Scotland, what bike to bring?

My wife and I are headed to Scotland next week. We'll be riding from West coast to East coast over the course of 9 days. My wife has a Santa Cruz Heckler and a Specialized Saphire. She's having a hard time deciding which bike to bring since we're a little uncertain of the trail conditions and length of daily climbs. Does anyone have experience with the trail networks across the Highlands in Scotland and care to offer an opinion? She's a strong rider but I worry that 30 miles a day for 9 days on a Heckler could become tiresome. Is the comfort and security of an All-Moutain bike worth it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My wife and I rode around the Cairngorns last Fall on an Intense Spider (mine) and Gary Fisher HiFi Pro (hers). It was a multi day tour with most of the time on drover routes (i.e. double track). There were a few rock, muddy areas but really no down hills requiring an all mountain bike. Our bikes were more than adequate. That being said I'm not familiar with your route. Enjoy your trip be sure to sample the whiskey.

p.s. the trail centers offer some really fun single track.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

What to ride...

I rode from Fort William to Aberdeen 2 summers ago on a 1 X 9 pivotless bike. It was perfect as far as suspension goes IMO, so a bike with 3 inches of travel is plenty.. I'd skip the long travel bike. We did have a couple of guys on long travel bikes, but by lunch they were worn out.

We went over Glen Esk too, the downhill was not at all hairy, just a lot of granite edges to cut tires down.

I loved the ride, Scottland land access rules are awesome, and pubs in the little towns along the wiskey trail were quite liberal with the spirits :-) I'd do that trip again...

Sean

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi, I believe my group is on the same trip with you, Trailbrakes? We are all bringing 5"-6" travel all-mountain bikes, just because that is what we have. Also a little nervous about the mileage and riding, but really looking forward to it as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

I went with a place called Mac's Adventures...

I went with a place called Mac's Adventures... But I think the route is a pretty common one. All of the out of towners met in Glasgow the night before and met the tour guide early the next morning for the bus to FtWilliams. We had 6 people on our trip, 3 people from Scottland and 3 Americans.

There are a few places along the route to rest while everyone else rides the mountain bike parks, in our case we past 2 of them... One was just the day before the world MTB downhill champs so that was cool. Also, the biggest mountain on our trip had a bypass option if needed. By day 3 or so we were all pretty close together except 1 guy which prefered to ride alone and meet us at lunch and again at dinner. On the 2 flattest days he stuck with the group. Our tour guide waited for the slowest person unless they waived him off.

Everyone was given a pre-loaded GPS just in case, but we still occasionally got of track. We did have some major bike carnage along the way including 2 broke frames, a broke wheel, a few broken spokes and at one point 5 flat tires in less than 2 miles on a downhill.. All but one broke frame was avoidable if it wasn't for people showing off :-)

I thought I did good to come out without damage, but when I cleaned up my bike after the trip my pivotless frame had found it's fatigue limit.

The Scottish countryside is really nice. Very old world. Land access is awesome, and at some points you'll think you are days from civilization, but every night you end up in some little place with a bead and breakfast.

Eat the hagus at breakfast! Or at least eat a good breakfast. Lunch is usually what the group carries, and they don't eat dinner until late!

Sean