Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

grand junction one day

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  slvander 
#1 · (Edited)
gonna be in the Grand Junction area one day on my way to Moab. I typically rider N. GA rolling hills so I'M a little apprehensive about loooong climbs. So I guess you'd say I'm a 49 yr old intermediate rider. I'd like to get a taste of Grand Junction but want to leave something in the tank for Moab where I'll be for four days.

if you were me what would you ride?

primecut?
horsethief bench?
zippidy do da? (looks awesome but don't know if I have balls enough for the exposure)
holy cross?
pet-e-kes?

#3 ·
Here's my take on riding in GJ and Fruita:

18 Road = fun roller coaster rides near the parking lot. Don't worry about the exposure, it's not that bad and adds to the flavor of the ride. Not too technical.

Tabeguache trails in GJ = these trails involve more climbing and technical riding. More challenging than 18 Road but, for me, more satisfying. Make it a big day by combining the Ribbon with Gunny loop or Holy Cross.

Loma = close to the highway if you're on the way to Moab. A nice combination of techy and rolling terrain on a series of benches along the river. Most scenic of the three with GJ a close second. Combine Mary's and Horsethief for a couple hour loop with not too much climbing.

#4 ·
Loma = close to the highway if you're on the way to Moab. A nice combination of techy and rolling terrain on a series of benches along the river. Most scenic of the three with GJ a close second. Combine Mary's and Horsethief for a couple hour loop with not too much climbing.
Having done the Moab/GJ combo trip twice previously, I'd vote for the Mary/Horsethief Bench trails. A great combo of rolling, techy and scenery (the entrance to Horsethief is steep/gnarly but it's part of the experience). You'll be smiling!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.