mtbr member
    Mar 2007

grand junction one day

gonna be in the Grand Junction area one day on my way to Moab. I typically rider N. GA rolling hills so I'M a little apprehensive about loooong climbs. So I guess you'd say I'm a 49 yr old intermediate rider. I'd like to get a taste of Grand Junction but want to leave something in the tank for Moab where I'll be for four days.

if you were me what would you ride?

primecut?
    horsethief bench?
    zippidy do da? (looks awesome but don't know if I have balls enough for the exposure)
    holy cross?
    pet-e-kes?
    Last edited by malcolmf; 09-17-2011 at 09:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    the stuff out by horse thief is good and can make for a good long ride if you add in some extra stuff while your there.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Here's my take on riding in GJ and Fruita:

18 Road = fun roller coaster rides near the parking lot. Don't worry about the exposure, it's not that bad and adds to the flavor of the ride. Not too technical.

Tabeguache trails in GJ = these trails involve more climbing and technical riding. More challenging than 18 Road but, for me, more satisfying. Make it a big day by combining the Ribbon with Gunny loop or Holy Cross.

Loma = close to the highway if you're on the way to Moab. A nice combination of techy and rolling terrain on a series of benches along the river. Most scenic of the three with GJ a close second. Combine Mary's and Horsethief for a couple hour loop with not too much climbing.

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    Loma = close to the highway if you're on the way to Moab. A nice combination of techy and rolling terrain on a series of benches along the river. Most scenic of the three with GJ a close second. Combine Mary's and Horsethief for a couple hour loop with not too much climbing.
    Having done the Moab/GJ combo trip twice previously, I'd vote for the Mary/Horsethief Bench trails. A great combo of rolling, techy and scenery (the entrance to Horsethief is steep/gnarly but it's part of the experience). You'll be smiling!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    THose are good suggestions. thanks.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    Here's my take on riding in GJ and Fruita:

18 Road = fun roller coaster rides near the parking lot. Don't worry about the exposure, it's not that bad and adds to the flavor of the ride. Not too technical.

Tabeguache trails in GJ = these trails involve more climbing and technical riding. More challenging than 18 Road but, for me, more satisfying. Make it a big day by combining the Ribbon with Gunny loop or Holy Cross.

I've ridden the 18 Road and Loma trails mentioned above. I liked the Loma trails much better. Trails and scenery were more interesting, IMO.

I've only ridden each system once.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'd do Holy Cross and if you can arrange a shuttle - the Ribbon - mostly just because it's a bit of a surreal experience. It's like you are in a parking lot that just drops off on every side.

Mrs. North of 60 | Just a girl who lives in the Yukon and loves to ride bikes