mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Going to Europe. Staying in Hostels

Have any of you gone to europe and stayed in hostels with your bike? Was there a secure place to keep your bike while you were not riding? I am planning an extended stay in europe and the uk where I want to ride as many trails as I can. I want to bring a bike with me instead of having to rent, but I am a bit worried about how safe my bike will be when I go out at night for some fun. Any tips/ideas will help. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible, that's why I am staying in hostels/couch surfing.

mtbr member
    I did a backpacking trip of southern europe and found that hostels, for the most part, weren't very secure. Anything I had of value I kept on my person pretty much at all times. Some of them had baggage/cargo rooms, but that was accessible by any of the staff. I'd suggest getting the best locking mechanism you can find and wherever you end up, be friendly with the hostel staff. Perhaps they'll show you a good out of the way place to store the bike.
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    there are mountain bike hotels and pensions all over Europe. In a pension, you get your own room but there usually is no shower. in the mountain bike hotels, there's usually a bike room where you can lock up your bike. i think as long as you stay away from the big cities you should be fine.

Totally, and to the max.
    I spent six weeks riding through Europe and stayed in hostels/pensions the whole time. There was always some place safe to put the bike. Lots of hostels have a secure storage area. We had a big lock, though and took our chances when we had to. No problems for us!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max
    I spent six weeks riding through Europe and stayed in hostels/pensions the whole time. There was always some place safe to put the bike. Lots of hostels have a secure storage area. We had a big lock, though and took our chances when we had to. No problems for us!
    Awesome, thank you! Any recommendation for a lock?

Did you have a safe place to store your other stuff in the rooms? I'm thinking about possibly bringing a camera and my laptop with me. Stupid idea?
    Last edited by cicatrix; 02-08-2011 at 10:28 PM.

dirtbag
    An option for secure storage to stash your valuables while you're out n about is the rental lockers at the local train station but it'll cost a couple euro.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier
    An option for secure storage to stash your valuables while you're out n about is the rental lockers at the local train station but it'll cost a couple euro.
    that's a pretty good idea. thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi,
    Actually, I've also experienced this situation. It is sometimes become very difficult to take your bike with you. Suppose, you take, then the charges for parking it are so high. I don't like it.
    But if you can, you should. Its a nice idea.
    regards
    a craze beyond the limits

"one of the mudfreaks"
    Normally, if you ask upfront they allways have a place for the bike