More than one, of course!

French MTB destination?

My wife and I want to plan a MTB trip in the EU this summer with some friends. What areas, ideally with detailed trail info, would you recommend? It would be nice if there was some beginner/intermediate level trails as well as a couple of expert ones near by.
    Thanks for any help!
    FR
    "It's NEVER all downhill" DMR

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Scotland is good and well known, books and youtube, also it will be in english

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Alp' Duez has amazing MTBing. Was there last year and will be going back there again this year.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Your title says "French" yet you ask generally about where to ride in the EU? I am confused. Pls clarify
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Thanks for the suggestions so far. As far as the confusion goes, I just didn't change the title.
    We are really just looking for some beautiful riding (scenic) with good food. Could be a bikepacking-like trip or it could be destination oriented. Scotland is a good idea but I think the wife is leaning to Spain. Warm, dry, food, wine. You get the picture. Any suggestions here?

I did a transalp trip (awesome trip) a few years ago but I don't my wife is up for that kind of challenge.

For those who have been, it would be great if there was a longer route like the trails connecting the villages of Cinque Terra in Italy. Ride for a day, pull into beautiful seaside village, eat, rest, drink, ..., repeat.
    Thanks,
    FR

mtbr member
    Below are a couple threads to check out.

Finale Ligure checks all the boxes in terms of "Warm, dry, food, wine", as well as outstanding scenery (natural and historical). My wife really wants to go back to Italy, and I can't argue with that at all. I enjoyed every place we visited so far, as they were all great destinations and unique experiences (views, riding, etc.).

Alps2.0!

Portes Du Soleil and Chamonix '09...wow!

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Sounds like italy might also be a good location, Lake Garda is really good, though thats all I can really tell you as I was Via ferratering when I was there but there was a massive mtb scene

RJ and 8ball, Thanks - Italy sounds great.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Try Austria, it has exactly what you want for you and your wife!! Long trails, single track, or multi day adventures. And it is not as expensive as France.
    check us out at www . austrian alpine activities . com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorraine Leivers View Post
    Try Austria, it has exactly what you want for you and your wife!! Long trails, single track, or multi day adventures. And it is not as expensive as France.
    check us out at www . austrian alpine activities . com
    I second the Austria suggestion. The wife and I have been vacationing there almost every summer for the past 15 years. Great people and stunning landscapes. Much cheaper than France (just got back from there-$$$!!!) and they have good wines as well. I also prefer the Austrian dishes to most of the French food we had on this past tour.

Can't really go wrong with either country though.
    "The Jeep is America's only real sports car"
    Enzo Ferrari