Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dog's best friend
    May 2004

exotic and unlikely mountain bike destinations

Show us locations where you've biked that would qualify as "off the radar". My fave spot is Jamaica. Lots of tropical trails, many bottles of Red Stripe beer and plenty of ......well , you know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails exotic and unlikely mountain bike destinations-rasta-biker.jpg  

exotic and unlikely mountain bike destinations-ocean-side-ride.jpg  

exotic and unlikely mountain bike destinations-share-trail.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Tenerife. Best volcano ever.

DG

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Dodecanese Islands Greece.

Go make a difference
    Bosnia and Tibet. You should come with us in 2011.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails exotic and unlikely mountain bike destinations-225_lglava_hk.jpg  

exotic and unlikely mountain bike destinations-640-tr-tibet.jpg  

Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Around the teafields, Limuru (just outside Nairobi), Kenya. Was going anyway & took the bike along mainly because I could (generous baggage allowance) - was a great way of getting out & exploring between villages.

Also, the riding around Kathmandu & Pokhara, Nepal is pretty good. Once again - a great way to get off the beaten track.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wow, looks amazing. So how does one travel with a mountain bike? How much dis-assembly needs to be done and how much are the special luggages for bikes?

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkmonster
    Wow, looks amazing. So how does one travel with a mountain bike? How much dis-assembly needs to be done and how much are the special luggages for bikes?

thanks
    There are a wide range of travel bags for bikes available (& correspondingly a wide range of prices) - & some people just use cardboard bike boxes (easily obtained free from bike shops). Being from NZ, I use this one from Ground Effect (I think mainly because I saw how a friend's worked from him. It's on the rather minimal side for padding, but a few pieces of cardboard & wrapping for the tubes in the right place prevent most damage. My bike has been on countless planes, on top of tiny taxis in Nepal and trains & buses all over the place for the last three years without any significant damage - I perhaps don't take enough care packing as I should as some of the paintwork is a bit scratched up now.

To disassemble & pack takes about half an hour - wheels removed, quick release skewers removed, spacers put in skewers & reinserted in to dropouts, rear derailleur removed, seat lowered, cranks & chain removed (not necessary, but the pedals have to come off anyway - so I find it easier just to remove the crankset) and finally handlebars removed. After three years of this, I have finally replaced the rather bent discs - from now on I will remove the discs each time.

With just the bike & shoes in the bag it looks like this. It's easy to fit in the necessary tools, camelbak, riding clothes & I often get a sleeping bag in as well. The most significant damage I had from an airline was a cracked helmet - that now goes in my other bag. I've usually managed to fly with generous airlines & have only paid about $60 in extra baggage fees over the last three years.

It can be a bit of a drag lugging such a bag around (as well as another one or two - dealing with the packed Tube during a London summer after flying for 24 hours & then walking a couple of miles was rather trying) - wheels would be something I would look for next time. But it's well worth it to get explore different countries & trails by bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Laos - ultra-hot, shitty rental bike, no helmet, virtually no health care facilities, no familiarity with area, riding solo. What could possibly go wrong?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This thread is so interesting! Have been on tons of mountain bike holidays with the fam around the uk - Scotland and Ireland especially, so it's been really fascinating to see such unlikely destinations...would never have thought of them myself!
    Last edited by MTB1ker29; 12-01-2010 at 05:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Subscribed. Awesome thread topic

mtbr member

Australia :)

Well it is not really Exotic.

Details

I have no idea what the tour company is like. I just found the ride and thought it looked like a good one.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    I've never gone riding there yet, but I would absolutely love to go ride Norway around the fjords. I have an old mountain bike magazines that have pics of epic rides around the world and they show some of the trails in Norway and it is gorgeous.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Yukon, Canada

Awesome riding, fun people. Check out Ride Guide TV episode from last year
    http://www.rideguide.ca/bike_episode...3316&cid=14067

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Heard Puerto Rico has some good tropical trails. Also wished I had my bike in Luxemboug...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dkbikes4life
    I've never gone riding there yet, but I would absolutely love to go ride Norway around the fjords. I have an old mountain bike magazines that have pics of epic rides around the world and they show some of the trails in Norway and it is gorgeous.
    Canada and Alaska have fijords. Canada is as bike friendly and remote as most anywhere. You can ferry to destinations right up the west coast from Vancouver to Alaska, one of my travel dreams.
    Lots trails on Vancouver Island and near Vancouver, Squamish.
    I've explored Doubtful Sound in New Zealand (don't bother with more famous and much more crowded Milford).The fijord I was in was huge, silent except for the birds and seals on rocks at the entrance. Water was calm and we had to to ourselves except for 2 other small boats. Rich forest environment with dolphins following the boat, riding the wake. Fiordland National Park.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    So no mentions of South Africa yet? Cape Town and surrounding mountains have some great mountain biking and Howick, in KwaZulu Natal has probably got the biggest network of trails in South Africa.

You can find more info and proper maps about cycling in South Africa as well as where to hire high quality bikes if you search for 'iRide Africa'

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My wife and I rode in southern Scotland this June. We went over during Tweed Love, a week long mtb festival in the Tweed Valley of scotland. The access rights in scotland pretty much let you ride anywhere responsibly. We rode 30 mile "Naturals" as they call it and some of the trail centers called 7Stanes. A must if you want a riding adventure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Concur with Scotland

I concur with riding Scotland. Just returned for a West to East C2C ride. 300 miles and 35,000 vertical. Oustanding time. The Scottish Highlands are not to be missed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike93 View Post
    My wife and I rode in southern Scotland this June. We went over during Tweed Love, a week long mtb festival in the Tweed Valley of scotland. The access rights in scotland pretty much let you ride anywhere responsibly. We rode 30 mile "Naturals" as they call it and some of the trail centers called 7Stanes. A must if you want a riding adventure.
    Trails built for mountain biking by mountain bikers are maybe only a 20-30 year occurance since they've started to be built. Were any of the trails you were riding built for bikes or all for walking?
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You can hop off the beach for a day and do jungle trail riding in St. Lucia. It's one of the more mountainous Caribbean islands.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Aaaahhhh...St Lucia. What a lovely island. Wasn't Tinker Huarez involved in developing a trail there?

mtbr member
    +1 St. Lucia. Great windsurfing too.

keepin' it rural

St. Lucia

+1 St Lucia. The wife and i went there with some friends to a Sandals Resort (group vacation). It was nice and all but kinda boring. We found a bike tour\rental company called Bike St. Lucia Bike St.Lucia - Jungle Biking Adventure - Mountain Biking

You can only get to the beach by boat, but once you are there they have single track through the jungle that goes through an old plantation. Not crazy extensive but it was alot of fun, and you get a nice meal on the beach and a dip in the ocean when you are done riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Guatemala!! Awesome trails, amazing people, the best tortillas in the world.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails exotic and unlikely mountain bike destinations-390211_2635625782005_1596290498_32495907_2121790613_n.jpg  

exotic and unlikely mountain bike destinations-403696_294115733959526_282909535080146_763072_2131978602_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey fellow riders! We run amazing all-mountain, cross-country and downhill trips worldwide...Nepal, Switzerland, Italy, Morocco, Peru, South Africa and Botswana, Costa Rica, Iceland, Mexico and of course our homebase of Whistler, BC. Check out our website and get in touch with us! Big Mountain Adventures, ridebig.com.
    Happy Trails!
    Chris Winter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast