Motocrosser Turned MTBer
    Feb 2013

Estes Park July 18th-23rd

Hi, everyone! Looking for some advice on multiple levels for an upcoming trip. My fiancÚ and I will be traveling from Lincoln, NE to Estes Park, CO from July 18th to the 23rd. I have looked up things to do around Estes Park during this vacation, but I'm just becoming overwhelmed. I plan on biking for sure. Are there any trails that are a must ride? Also, my fiancÚ has made a reservation for a rafting day in Ft. Collins, on Saturday the 20th. This is the only set in stone activity. I see there are lots of activities, but don't want to waste my time on some that are not very interesting. This will be my first mountain bike "vacation", and I am hoping to make this something she will enjoy too, so that we can do this more often. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Contact Redstone Cyclery (355 Main Street Lyons, CO 303.823.5810) in Lyons, CO (just down the canyon from Estes Park).
    They will have all of the information you need about MTB trails in the area.

Redstone Cyclery
    Last edited by 3sigma; 07-09-2013 at 06:11 AM. Reason: grammatical error

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm not sure I'd classify Estes Park as a "mountain bike vacation", but it's a nice town on the edge of RMNP, so you could be in a lot of worse places.

There's not a ton of riding right in Estes, you'll have to drive a little bit (30-40 minutes) to get to most of the good riding. The town where Redstone Cyclery is located, Lyons, has a handful of really fun trails- Hall Ranch and Picture Rock to name a couple. Loveland, which is east of Estes Park on Hwy 34, has some fun trails on the west side of town as well- Devil's Backbone to Blue Sky and Bobcat Ridge specifically.

Make sure you know that it's REALLY hot here right now- consistently in the 90s for most of the day. The trails I mentioned become miserable in these temps, so if you can ride early or late do so.

If you want some more technical riding (re: really technical), check out Crosier Mountain and the Sourdough trail network. They're both up higher in elevation and will be much cooler.

ride
    I heard that Redstone guy is even from NE. Tons of good riding around here. You will enjoy!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Motocrosser Turned MTBer
    Feb 2013
    I know it's not really the best place for mountain biking "vacation", but it's a start in the right direction. We were originally going to Lake Natahala in NC, but plans fell through. I'm just trying to get my fiancÚ into the idea that vacations don't have to be all hotels and cruises. I grew up racing motocross, and a lot of our "vacations" were centered around areas we were racing. So, start small, and before you know it, she'll be begging to go to Whistler (I can dream, can't I?). I also have no problem driving to ride, I have to regularly travel hour to hour and a half for change in riding venue. I am excited just to be getting my bike out of the IA, NE, SD area and try something different. I think I'll also have to plan a stop in Lyons, to check out Redstone Cyclery. Can't wait! Thanks again for the pointers on different trails to try. Any advice on things to do besides ride? Just in case my fiancÚ asks, I want her to think I have other things for her to do

mtbr member
    Be sure to take some time to do some hiking in the park. I will be in Estes and the park about the same time and won't be taking a bike at all. I would like to but the wife does not ride trails, but loves to hike. Next step is to get her to stay in a campground instead of a hotel. Babysteps. Estes itself is just another tourist trap. The only reason to stay there is proximity to the park. Have yet to find a decent restaurant there. We eat out of our cooler. Estes does have a good grocery store. A Safeway. After almost 20 years of marriage, I can offer you some advice. If you have any of your own dreams or aspirations, do not get married.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You should head down to Boulder for an afternoon or evening; it's only about 45 minutes from Estes Park. The Boulder Open Arts Festival is next weekend, so it would be a pretty nice night to walk around Pearl Street for a couple hours checking out the artists, then go to a good restaurant for dinner. If you're looking for some recommendations, you can't go wrong with one of these:

Salt
    The Kitchen
    Mateo
    Black Cat
    Brasserie Ten Ten
    Oak at Fourteenth

(my two faves from this list are Mateo and Brasserie Ten Ten)

Two Wheeled Terror

Re: Estes Park July 18th-23rd

Quote Originally Posted by bakracer View Post
    I know it's not really the best place for mountain biking "vacation", but it's a start in the right direction. We were originally going to Lake Natahala in NC, but plans fell through. I'm just trying to get my fiancÚ into the idea that vacations don't have to be all hotels and cruises. I grew up racing motocross, and a lot of our "vacations" were centered around areas we were racing. So, start small, and before you know it, she'll be begging to go to Whistler (I can dream, can't I?). I also have no problem driving to ride, I have to regularly travel hour to hour and a half for change in riding venue. I am excited just to be getting my bike out of the IA, NE, SD area and try something different. I think I'll also have to plan a stop in Lyons, to check out Redstone Cyclery. Can't wait! Thanks again for the pointers on different trails to try. Any advice on things to do besides ride? Just in case my fiancÚ asks, I want her to think I have other things for her to do
    Estes park is pretty nice. Not sure if you ever want to "un-plug" but 45min above Estes is meeker and there is a lodge up there with cabins to rent. There's a couple of lodges up there but the air is crisp in the mornings even in the dead of summer. Sensational scenery surrounds you. There's hiking, horseback riding, fishing, sleeping, and reading. Great way to escape the digital anchor. Not sure of riding though. Its been a while since I could afford to just disappear for a few weeks lol.

Hand typed and Telegraphed

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well this is a bit ironic. I logged in today specifically to check into the Estes stuff. I am from TX so 90 degrees is nothing. Regardless we are leaving on the 30th with Boulder as one of our destinations so my son can do the ironkids tri. We plan to camp in Estes at a Jellystone park. To bad no real trails are in or close to Estes. May check out Lyons.

Two Wheeled Terror
    Its mostly hiking as far as I'm aware up there. Its still very beautiful country

Hand typed and Telegraphed

ride
    Good riding from your camp at Jellystone if you don't mind a mile or so on the highway and a few miles of dirt roads.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am mostly on a vacation and if some riding happens then so be it. I can MTB in Texas and have some great trails in Dallas (granted it is not CO), but I cannot fly fish in Dallas for trout. The rod shall comfort me!

Motocrosser Turned MTBer
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for all the help guys, sorry I couldn't make it to Redstone Cyclery. We passed through Lyons on our way to Estes, but the Fiance was ready to get there and set up camp. We didn't get as much riding done as I had hoped, but still had fun. There was lots of hiking, which kept the other half happy. I do believe that we are already excited to start planning for another trip ASAP.