mtbr member
    Apr 2011

East coast road trip

Thinking about an East Coast road trip in late may / early june with 2 or 3 stay-overs at riding spots - any suggestions? Starting in MA, could head south, west or east - any suggestions? Would like to find some cool, comfortable accommodations along the way...

JDM
    mtbr member
    You'll get kinda wet heading east out of MA.

What about north? Lots of good riding in NH and VT.

mtbr member
    rothrock st forest in central pa. 2 campgrounds 1 with nice showers penn state collage near by for night live if interested. purple lizard has maps. great riding.george washington forest in virginia.lots of rides and campgrounds. i like todd lake. 5 good rides out of this area. can be done as one or broken into smaller rides. reddish knob is awesome. from there you could head to n carolina. pisgah has lots of great riding and campgrounds. just scratching the surface. you could spend weeks at any one of these areas. most of the rides leave from the campgrounds. if you dont camp there are towns near by with motels. there are a ton of rides inbetween these places also. i have done this trip 6 or 7 times. doing it again in last week of june. this should get you thinking. if you are serious about doing this trip i can give you more details. ill check this thread from time to time. get out of new england and ride.

mtbr member
    Allegrippis! Raystown Lake, PA

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Go to Raystown and then skip down to Davs WV. That would be a good trip. If you have time hit up Pisagh.
    Last edited by joedirt24; 06-05-2011 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    A friend and I just did Boston to Seattle with great success. The first tip I would offer is to not necessarily have destination rides as your focal point, but rather, figure out your over all route (i.e., northern, southern, I80, etc) and then Google the local bike shops along the way for suggestions on the local riding opportunities. This worked out every time for us. Our rides were great all along the way.

We took 10 days and rode all but two. An example of how well the local bike shop tips worked out for us is on Day 1 we were in the Scranton, PA area and couldn't figure out where the trails were from online trail reviews? We Googled Scranton bike shops and got a lead on some trails in Danville, PA - "Ive, never ridden them, but they're behind the big hospital down there and have always been well spoken of....".

The big hospital is the Geisinger Hospital and true to the tip, there is a trail head just behind the buildings, at the foot of a steep ridge. It was great! The local riders have done a dynamite job of building some sweet single track with great flow. We rode to our hearts' content for a couple of hours until dusk. With a suggestion from guys we met on the trails, we had post ride beers and dinner at the local brew pub. We did this model again and again the whole trip with equal success each time - maybe not the brew pub and food every time, but the riding was always great.

Good luck on your trip.

Dinner for wolves
    Consider making a stop at Big River in Rhode Island on your West or South. Essential to hook with a group ride - Check out RINEMBA.
    Responds to gravity