mtbr member
    Jun 2008

dolomites/cortina

We have planned a trip for 2 weeks of mountian biking in the Dolomites. We are going to stay in Val Gardena for 10 days and then we were thinking of going to Cortina for 4 days. However, I've read most of the single track around Cortina is off limits to mountain bikes and just reserved for foot traffic. If that is the case, we will rethink our visit to Cortina and maybe explore another part of the Dolomites for our last 4 days. If anyone has any insight on the single track riding scene in and around Cortina, that would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    how was your trip?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Incredible. We based out of Selva Gardena for 9 days. The riding between Val Gardena and Alta Badia is unlimited and awesome. Huge loops, techie single track, flowy trail. If you like to do big adventure loops, this is the place to go. Then we did an overnight to a high refugio to Cortina. Again, incredible, but because Cortina is not friendly to mountain bikes on single track, we headed north to Toblach and completed the Stoneman tour which was fantastic as well. Definitely one of the top locations i've ever ridden (been fortunate to have ridden in Crested Butte, Sun Valley, Fruita, Morzine, whistler and other top spots). I'd go back there for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Awesome. What month did you go?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Last week in June, first week in July.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Any pictures?

I have road biked in that area and it was awesome too. I need to take the mountain bike next time!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerm70 View Post
    Thanks! What a awesome place.
    I recognize a few from the alpe di siusi area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hi there,

Gotta say, from your photos, the place looks amazing. Did you take your own bikes or did you hire some over there?

Reason I ask about the bikes is because my wife & I are going to the Alta Badia-Val Gardena area of the Dolomites for a fortnight in about 3 weeks - and I'm not sure what bike to take!

We're taking our own bikes, but I'm wondering which of my bikes to take - 29er carbon hardtail, 26er 140mm travel full-susser or 26er 100mm 'racey' full suss. The latter is a bit lighter and easier to get uphill than the 140mm travel, but it's not so forgiving on really steep technical descents.

From your photos, the trails don't look super-rough(?), so I'm wondering about taking my 29er HT. Just wondered how you guys got on with your hardtails? Were there any places or times where you thought you'd rather have a little suspension?

If you can let me know, that'd be much appreciated.

TIA

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    We flew our own bikes over. We all rode 29er titanium hardtails and they were perfect. There is so much ground to cover and while lots most of the trails are fairly buff and fast, there are some serious technical sections that the big wheels handled perfectly. If you needed to rent a full sussie, there is a very good bike shop in Selva Gardena that has a full Scott demo quiver. I am jealous you are heading over. I loved it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey there, thanks for the swift response. Ah, I thought your bikes looked a bit special for hire bikes - they look really nice

From what you've said, and having just ridden my 26er 'race' full sus after spending a lot of time on my 29er, I think I've narrowed it down to my 29er hardtail, or if I can get its weight down to about 25lbs, the140mm full-susser. The latter has Propedal & lockout, so I guess with the right tyres, I might just about keep in touch with my wife on the climbs (she's got a lightish 29er HT)

My wife reckons life would be much easier if I just had one bike...........er....no comment!

If I do take my HT, I'll definately have a look at the Scott hire bikes. I demo'd a top end Scott Spark 29er and took it for a 3 hour blast in one of the UK mtb trail centres - absolutely incredible bike.

Anyway, thank for the info. We're really getting hyped up now we've looked through your photos!

Cheers, R&AJ

mtbr member
    Hey,
    My wife and I are starting to plan a trip to the Dolomites for this year, either June/July or September. Which time do you think would be best? Some friends who are going over to rode bike think we will get snowed out if we wait for September. I ope that is not the case but since we will be on mtb's, it won't be as bad if we do get a little snow.

Where exactly did you stay? Hotel, rental house...? Is there a good guide book or how did you find the trails?
    Thanks.

toscano
    June is in many ways the best month, few tourists, long days and flourished vegetation.
    Going high you may have problems because of the snow but the choice of routes is immense.
    September, generally provides stable weather but it is a little chilly, they call it the month of hikers.
    About accommodation you have a very large range of hotels of all prices, houses, rooms and campsites.
    About books is the same, you will find so many in all languages.
    Personally I like a campground, the closest south of Cortina, the place is wonderufl and owners are very friendly.
    Last edited by toscano; 01-03-2013 at 04:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You guys are psyched. Incredible riding. i assume you are from the Pisgah area (a place we take a spring trip each season). if you are familiar riding pisgah, it will be somewhat similar, but very different as well. Similar in that you will be riding trekking trails more than specific biking trails. but if you can read maps, are not afraid of some hike a bike, you can put together huge, awesome loops. We were there for 2 weeks and stayed a little over a week in a rental chalet in Selva Gardnea in Val Gardena. I would fully recommend staying in Val Gardena. It offers the most options, offers easy lift access to explore several other valleys, and is a gorgeous valley in itself. As for maps, you will want to pick up the following Tabacco maps: 05, 06 and 07. The Val Gardena tourist office has all these maps as well as a killer guide that you can use as a basis for loops and then explore off of those.
    Mountain-Bike in Val Gardena
    Shop Val Gardena - Gröden : Bike-Paradies Gröden und Seiser Alm - 33 Touren - €9,90
    We stayed in an apartment at this chalet and it was perfect:
    Edelraut*** Apartments
    The 2nd week we rode from hut to hut to Cortina and then up to Tobliach for the Stoneman tour. Another must do.
    let me know if you need any other help.

Pedaler
    mtpisgah, first off, despite living down the road in Chattanooga, I am slightly jealous that you have Pisgah to ride around and play in. Every time I drive out there I leave with a smile on my face.

BikeToursDirect has a mt. bike tour through the Dolomites that might interest you. This tour includes multiple hotels, with luggage transfers and breakfasts included. This is a self-guided tour but detailed routes and maps are provided, as well as a telephone hotline incase you encounter an emergency or get lost. The price is quite reasonable as well.

This is just another option to consider for mt biking in Italy as it will handle a lot of the logistical issues that can arise with overseas travel.

I do work for BikeToursDirect (shameless plug I know), but if you have questions I would love to help out.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    September is chilly like toscano said but chilly at night and warm in the day. The tourists are mostly gone and the weather still perfect. Prices drop because its not high season. We rode in the Western Dolomites in the Sudtirol region/

Bike Holidays ALPS, Cycling in Italy Dolomites is an over view. Its a network of Bikehotels in the area. Turnkey packages with hotels, gondola rides up if you want them to top of mountains (don't worry you'll still get lots of uphill and distance), good food, maps etc.

Sudtirol area seemed to have way more singletrack unlike many parts of Cortina where the bike trails are really doubletrack or farm roads. We rode near Bruneck, then Brixen, then Steinegg, then Latsch/Passo Stelvio.

More here - 5 days story - this is day 1 Sud Tirol 2012 – Bruneck-Brunico | Sharon and Lee - Just another day
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    We live in Greenville, SC so just an hour from Pisgah. We had a nice, but wet, ride at the Fah Hatchery yesterday. Nimble will, I wish I lived close to Chattanooga so I could ride Raccoon Mtn mor e often.

Thank s for the info on Italy guys, hopefully plane tickets will come down some so we can make it work out. Otherwise it will be a trip to Scotland which wouldn't be too bad either.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerm70 View Post
    Last week in June, first week in July.
    Great photos. I was there three weeks earlier, and it was rainy and overcast every day!

Edit: There is lift access straight out of Cortina for bikes. I haven't tried it though.
    Last edited by womble; 01-07-2013 at 04:45 AM.

Pedaler
    mtPisgah, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. Raccoon is about 10 minutes from me and is one of 2 trails systems that I consider "home" trail systems. They are also in the process of making some amazing additions to Raccoon Mt. It will be even more epic once it is all said and done. However I do long for some good Pisgah riding.

I raced Snake Creek Gap this weekend and learned that the combination of a lack of training, too many warm clothes for the weather, and 5200 ft of climbing leads to learning about some new muscle groups through cramping. Despite the cramps and a dismal time, it was a great day and a great first race for the series.

If you guys end up going to Scotland, check this TOUR out. And if you are really wanting to test the technical skills, then this TOUR may be of interest as well. Both of these tours have videos on the webpages as well. (The Torridon and Sky video has some recognizable riders in it) Both of these tours are ran by the same operator. They are pretty awesome. The Coast to Coast tour is a bucket list tour for me.

If you guys ever do come over to Chatt let me know. I am always game to ride Raccoon and 5 Points is a great time too.