mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Demos and/or rentals in durango and Moab

Good news! I'm headed to Moab and Durango this weekend. Bad news is I can't bring my bike.

I have never been to the mecca known as Moab, and I would love to ride there. What will the temperatures be like this weekend? I may only have an hour or two in hte morning to ride there. Any suggestions? Trails? Rental shops? Ye , I know I should spend a few days there. Next time. I am also headed to Durango. So far the Durango Mountain resort has a chairlift and Bike rental. Do I need to bring my favorite shoes and some egg beaters? Will they have pedals there? Any info from someone who has been there or lives there would be much appreciated.

Jake

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    For bikes in Moab look at Moab Guides, Outfitters & Equipment Rentals - Plan the ultimate Moab vacation!, off on the far right are rental columns. All the Moab trail maps can be found on Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps. and the bike shops will be able to steer you to one for your skill level. It is good you are biking in the morning. Temperatures climb to 93-8 degrees by noon. It is 9 AM and it is 82 degrees right now.
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    We try to avoid summer in Moab but getting up at 5:30 and off the trails around 11 AM works pretty good.

All the bike shops have rentals and maps.

This is a Moab trails orientation I made a few years ago. Also other trail analyses available.

Moab Mountain Biking for Intermediates - A Trail Analysis - YouTube

Moab Brewery is a good hangout.

The RV parks have nice cabins for rent. We prefer Moab Valley Resort.

Durango is high elevation and challenging if you are from the lowlands. Cute town!

Jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ride at dawn in Moab to beat the heat. A billion shops in town, all of which rent.

Don't ride at Purg (Durango Mtn Resort), it's not worth it and the best riding is in and all around town. Hit up 2nd Ave Sports in Durango for a bike. You can ride to Horse Gulch trailhead from there in 2 minutes. They'll provide maps as well. Trails 2000 has an interactive map for you to get familiar with the trail system. You can ride 40+ miles of single track and never be more than 10 miles from the center of town. You should always bring your shoes and peddles as rental bikes only have flats.

C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    Durango Bike Co, a manufacturer, is located near the Horse Gulch trails and they have demos available :-) We met the couple that owns it at the Sea Otter bike festival in Monterey in April. Great to chat with them about bike design!

| Durango Bike Company

Jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    [QUOTE=jmpreston;11287701]Durango Bike Co, a manufacturer, is located near the Horse Gulch trails/QUOTE]

DBC is located AT the Horse Gulch trailhead, but they don't always have demos, and they don't "rent" them in the traditional sense, so you can't go out for a 2-3 hour ride on them. Worth stopping in and checking out the shop though.

OP, thought I'd mention that I use to live across the street from Horse Gulch and still own my home there. We rent it out occasionally to friends, family, and fellow bike people, so PM me if you'd like a great alternative to expensive and/or nasty Durango motels. 2 bedrooms, fully furnished, garage with a few cruisers for getting around town sans car, a bunch of growlers waiting to be filled up, and some nice decks to drink said brews on while watching the sun set over the La Platas...