I moved here last summer after I retired and am not affiliated with any businesses here but am thrilled with the riding scene.

Cumberland is in the Comox valley, on Vancouver Island 1 hour North of Nanaimo. Courtenay is 7km down the road and has all the amenities of a small city. Cumberland has a nice hostel, guest house, great pub, bike shop, a few restaurants, good coffee, a rec centre with showers, and some of the best riding anywhere right on the edge of town.

The trails are mainly accessed by riding up gravel roads to mainly descend beautiful BC single-track with boardwalks, bridges, flow, tech, and the most fun you can have with your clothes on. 9km down the road is Forbidden Plateau with more of a DH vibe but with trails for all level of riders.

I have mountain biked all over including Moab, Hurricane, Oregon, Bootleg, Ashville, and lots in Canada and the trails here stack up.

There are good maps, friendly locals, and great advice from local shops to get you going and you won't waste your time trying to find an obscure trail head.

Here is a link to get started Comox Valley MTB | Riding Island Style