mtbr member

Colorado week trip, where to

Lets say we want to go camp and ride in colorado, where should we go?

We will want alot of miles of trails, and i am not afraid to climb , and if we could ride from the camping spot to the trail that would be nifty. Start throwing our suggestions and experiences.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Front Range - Hall Ranch, Apex (Enchanted Forest), Buffalo Creek (Blackjack)
    GJ/Fruita - Lunch Loops, Mary's/Moore Fun/Horsethief (A bunch of loops there), 18 Road

Just a few. I live on the front range closer to Boulder and these are my faves. I havent ridden alot over colorado, just alot at the local spots and a lot of bike parks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'd go to Fruita... ride there (and GJ) for 3-4 days, make a couple day-trips to Moab.

Or you could head to Crested Butte and ride there- plenty to keep you busy for a week.

Just don't come out here now.

powered by peanut butter.
    Camp in Gothic, which is just past the Crested Butte resort. There are a bunch of free / cheap camp sites along the dirt road that travels through Gothic, and you can ride up to the amazing Trail 401, as well as other trails. It's a stunningly beautiful area and well worth the trip.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Call me crazy and uninformed, but shouldn't Crested Butte have a good chunk of snow by now?

powered by peanut butter.
    Well, H/o/M didn't say when they were going, so I assumed it'd be a summer trip. But yeah, I'm sure Crested Butte has some snow by now.

So, if you go mid-late summer, Gothic would be an awesome place to camp and ride.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here's a list of what I would do (note: This is usually only rideable late June, July 4th to be safe)
    #1. spend 2-3 days in Crested Butte (also do Monarch Crest trail)
    #2 spend 2-3 days in Durango,
    On your way to from Durango from Crested Butte (or vice versa) hit the "Lunch Loops" up in Grand Junction and ride the "Ribbon Trail:

I've got some ride descriptions for Crested Butte and the Ribbon posted here along with some free maps and maps you can purchase. If you have any questions, let me know
    Ride Report
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Grand Junction

If you're going to ride the Ribbon, make sure you combine it with Gunny or Holy Cross, or both! Lots of new singletrack in the area to explore.

mtbr member
    I plan on taking a week, 9 days total to come out to Colorado to ride. Im coming from Okc Ok. Where are the best places on the east side of the state? I would like to hit a few places and camp.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It's the ONLY place I've ridden in CO, so I'm no tour guide, but check out Lake Pueblo SP. Decent camping and fun trails and thaws out earlier than most of CO.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    We don't always ride in Colorado, but when we do, we go to Phils World in Cortez. It is very near Mesa Verde NP. The camping in there costs money and is driving. There is a reservoir to the NW of Cortez that we camped at once too. Had the place to ourselves.

Some people I've talked with said a discreet one night stay in the parking lot of Phils World is probably manageable too.

Cortez is also between the towns of Moab and Durango, two places of little consequence.

Up in Steamboat, while not a trail head, the Strawberry Hot Springs have camping and a pretty damn nice set of soaking pools. (that costs a little cash too) oh so nice

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    So many good places to ride. Here's my suggestion ...

Spring to early summer visit:
    Focus on the desert areas such as Grand Junction, Fruita, and Moab!

Mid-summer through Sept visit:
    Option 1: Visit various ski towns along the I-70 corridor (Breckenridge, Leadville, Vail, Aspen, etc...).
    Option 2: If you want to get away from the crowds, go to Crested Butte, Salida (Monarch Crest Trail), and Gunnison (Hartmanís Rock) area.

Camping:
    Visit websites for the National Forest, BLM, Colorado State Parks for the area youíre visiting.

If youíre here August 20-26 you may be able to watch a bit of the USA Pro Challenge stage race.

No matter where you ride, you will NOT be disappointed. Have a good time!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    We did a mid Summer Trip to Durango, spent a couple days there, rode Telegraph, and the CO Trail. Then we Rode Purgatory Race Coarse, then headed to Moab for a day. Good Stuff. Durango and Moab are two sweet towns...I'd love to live in either one.

addicted to chunk
    Last year we spent a couple weeks camping & biking in CO & UT.

My fav area of Colorado was Salida (Monarch Crest) & Crested Butte (401). Fruita was awesome too but damn hot & no trees.
    Year before we did Durango & that is a cool town with alot of great riding, & Phil's world not too far.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Phils World in Cortez is great, I like Sand Canyon even better. A ride thru an 800 year old Anasazi village. Several of the trails were built for biking by bikers, as Phils is also.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Salida! Monarch Crest plus Rainbow, Agate Creek, Canyon Creek. Three monster rides. Plus a number of rides on the Colorado trail or Salida Mountain trails.
    There are a number of forest Service campgrounds in the area.
    Because, one is never enough.

mtbr member
    When are you coming That would a a Start ? what park of Okc are you from ?
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

Beer Me!
    HandoMidas, Knowing your affinity for beer, i highly suggest hitting up my town of Fort Collins. Lots of trail systems, LOTS of beer, as far as the camping i can think of a couple places close to town/trail systems.

mtbr member
    Junction Creek campground a few miles outsite Durango and is right a trail head.
    San Juan National Forest - Junction Creek Campground

Think about getting this map for the area.
    Durango, Colorado Latitude 40 map

Kev