mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Colorado/Utah trail suggestions

Hi guys!
    Im coming to the US next month from the UK for a Bucket list holiday (& to break my new Intense Spider 29 comp in!)
    I have a rental RV for 2 weeks & was planning on riding these trails on a whistle stop tour,
    Some feedback from anyone from area would be great & any suggestions on riding area's would be very welcome

1. Pine, buffalo creek
    2. Salida
    3. Slickrock
    3. Porcupine Rim
    4. Fruita
    5. Crested Butte
    6. boulder

i would be hiring a bike for my partner & my brothers partner so would like any recommendations for bike hire in Denver/Boulder area

cheers guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysonski View Post
    Hi guys!
    Im coming to the US next month from the UK for a Bucket list holiday (& to break my new Intense Spider 29 comp in!)
    I have a rental RV for 2 weeks & was planning on riding these trails on a whistle stop tour,
    Some feedback from anyone from area would be great & any suggestions on riding area's would be very welcome

1. Pine, buffalo creek
    2. Salida
    3. Slickrock
    3. Porcupine Rim
    4. Fruita
    5. Crested Butte
    6. boulder

i would be hiring a bike for my partner & my brothers partner so would like any recommendations for bike hire in Denver/Boulder area

cheers guys!
    From Salida to Moab you will go right past Crested Butte and through Fruita unless you go out of your way to miss them. It makes a lot more sense to go Salida to Crested Butte, and then on to Moab, and then back to Fruita then hit Boulder on the way back to Denver.

Keep in mind it will be *brutally* hot and dry in Moab, and possibly Fruita, too. It isn't only the temperatures, which will be over 90F in the afternoons, but the single digit humidity levels and constant breezes will suck moisture out of you. You need to plan on being done riding by 11AM at the latest out there, unless you plan on riding in the high mountains outside of Moab.

As for getting bikes in Denver/Pine, try Pedal Pushers in Golden, which is right off of I-70. In Boulder, Full Cycle is good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    thanks for the info!
    im gonna contact Full Cycle for the bikes first
    will aslo plan to ride EARLY!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If that's the route you're taking, then between Buffalo Creek and Salida you'll drive right over Kenosha Pass. It's not the best riding time (and depending on how hot it is between now and then, it might not melt out) since it's not the fall, but Kenosha Pass is worth riding just about any time of the year. Go east and/or west off the pass and you'll be pretty happy.

I'd also add Hartman Rocks in Gunnison, which is right next to Crested Butte. Depending on what type of riding you prefer, I'll also suggest Palisade Rim in Grand Junction near Fruita.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    thanks for that, just looking at Gunnison, looks good! :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Depending on which Crested Butte trails are dry, I'd definitely look into riding Strand Hill (link it with some of the on-mountain trails) and Doctor Park. I doubt 401 or anything up high will be rideable in mid June unfortunately.