mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Colorado Road trip in september, Suggesstion ?

Hi,
    We have 8 days to spend in Colorado.
    We arrive in Denver.
    Here are the destination that we will hit during those days:

1-Pine
    2-Salida
    3-Crested Butte
    4-Fruita (3days)
    5-Eagle

Are we missing anything ?
    Any other trail recommendation ?
    Is Eagle a really fun place to ride ?

Thanks for any input!
    Last edited by korivo; 08-28-2013 at 01:01 PM.

C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    I only know the Fruita / Grand Junction trails a bit. We attended the Fruita Fat Tire Festival last April. You could easily spend 8 days in the area. Horsethief Mesa NW of Fruita is a blast, especially the famous "drop-in" trail. (We hiked the bikes on that section.) Probably 2 days at least in that area near Loma, CO.

East of Fruita are the 18 Road trails and at least a long day playing there.

The big stuff are the Lunch Loops west of Grand Junction. The Holy Cross Trail will kick just about anyone's ass. I could see at least 4 days exploring there. Good technical rock work available along with flows and short but steep drops.

Jim

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Lifts are free at telluride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That is a big list for 8 days- it's doable but you'll be moving on a fast pace of 1 day in each place except Fruita (3 days listed).
    Riding in Pine (Buffalo Creek is a great way to start after landing in Denver) but you might end up adjusting to 2 days in Fruita to get back to Denver/DIA in 8 days because you might want 2 days in Crested Butte.
    You listed a great loop trip that stops at some great places.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the reply guys.

We have a pad rented in Grand Junction for 3 nights, so we have to spend 3 days there.
    Our pad is right behind Lunch Loop.
    We can bike to the trail head in 5 minutes.
    How would you rate Lunch loop and what would you tag there ?

What about Eagle Colorado, worth it ?

Thanks!

C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    Don't know Eagle, CO. There are a bunch of trails in the Lunch Loops but but my favorite so far is Holy Cross if you are looking for a challenge. Eagle's Wing is supposed to be great also. Both are highly technical. Easy to get lost with all the trails in the area.

Plenty to do there for 3 days! Great location for a pad :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm headed out to Fruita next month for a long weekend of riding and camping. Of the two shops in town, any recommendations for renting a bike? I'm leaning towards Over The Edge, but any opinions from experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    In Eagle ride Boneyard to East Eagle. It's a good 1/2 way point between GJ and Denver. You could also stop in Breckenridge if you want more high country riding (if there's not snow yet).

For HTswede: I have no experience renting in Fruita OTE Sports in the original, FWIW...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    We just got back from riding Fruita, Grand Junction and Moab. Definitely suggest using Over The Edge in Fruita (check with Max for good trail ideas to get great flow and workout). Holy Cross in Grand Junction (Tabegauche) is a blast, and be sure to ride Moore Fun and Horsethief Bench in Fruita (Kokopelli Area). Bring plenty of water and snacks to enjoy the day in each area. Personally, Kokopelli is more scenic so if you're stuck for time it's where I'd focus on.

C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    Max sent my wife and I to Holy **** (Cross) Trail and it was too technical for us. We loved it! I went OTH twice without significant injury. We were on hot demo bikes during the Fat Tire Festival and there was a learning curve in tight situations.

Still trying to figure out how to bike the drop-in to Horsethief :-) And those steps in the back!

We plan to return to the Fruita Fat Tire Festival next April!

Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks very much for the review, I can't wait to get out there. I've reserved a rental through Over The Edge and definitely will be heading to Kokopelli.