mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Colorado MTB Ski resort for two old fogies?

Hello, new around here..

The wife and I (45 & 47) will be visiting Colorado beginning of September and we really don't have a set agenda. I visited the pitkin area last year for some off road motorcycling up Cumberland etc. But my wife doesn't ride motorcycles, so we are looking for things to do and I considered Buena Vista. We will be living in a 24' travel trailer/toy hauler, so finding a dispersed camp site would also be needed. We don't want a koa camp ground.

Any suggestions on a resort we can enjoy the colorado highlands at? She is a beginner MTB rider. But I'm looking forward to some white knuckle downhill riding and a lift.

Thanks!
    Last edited by rerod; 08-11-2013 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you are looking for a ski area with an MTB park to camp at with your RV and ride from, it won't be easy to find one where you are either banned from camping on the their lots or aren't surrounded by acres of empty gravel/asphalt. Colorado ski areas with developed, left-accessed riding include:

Winter Park: The biggest and most developed lift-accessed riding in the state. There are a few USFS campgrounds within a 5 mile radius of the base as well as some possible dispersed camping to the east of the base on the road up to Rollins Pass, although they are few and far between if my memory serves.

Keystone: Some decent bike-specific trails that are lift-accessible. USFS campgrounds on Swan Mountain Road, about 5 miles west. Some dispersed camping spots of the Snake River towards and past the town of Montezuma, but these may be too small for your rig. This is a pretty built up area...

Breckenridge: Mediocre lift accessed trails with no nearby public campgrounds. Some opportunities for dispersed camping up county road 6 (about 10-12 miles away, and USFS campgrounds at Swan Mountain Road, and near Frisco. Like Keystone, the entire south part of Summit County, including Breckenridge, Keystone, and Frisco, is pretty urbanized being that you are surrounded by 12,000+ peaks. The area has also been ravaged by the pine beetle epidemic, so lot's of dead and dying trees and clear-cuts.

Vail/Beaver Creek: Mediocre lift access trails (including one I built on Vail Mountain, that is, yes, mediocre) with no camping nearby.

Snowmass: One good trail, several meh trails (and one great XC ride to Buttermilk ski area), nearest camping up Maroon Creek road (you'll need reservations most likely) or past Aspen towards Independence Pass.

Steamboat: One great trail, the rest so-so, all lift accessed. No nearby camping but USFS campgrounds both north and south within 10-15 miles.

Crested Butte: I've heard the lift accessed riding is ok, but the singletrack around the area is some of the best in the world. Camping in USFS campgrounds within 10 miles to the north and west as well as some options for dispersed camping in the same areas (past Gothic, up around Irwin Lake).

Telluride: Some ok trails on the mountain, Dispersed camping along S. Fork road about 8-10 miles west of town, and several USFS campgrounds along CO 145 heading south, one of which (Sunshine Campground) is about 5 miles from Mountain Village.

Purgatory near Durango has some lift-accessed trails, but a far better idea would be to ride the many trails in and around Durango and skip the ski area. Lot's of camping options all around the area.