Anytime. Anywhere.

Christmas, SW USA, Best Weather/Riding

My wife and I are escaping the Canadian Winter for a month in Dec-Jan. We want a trip to the SW US and like the title says we want warm weather, good riding, hiking, scenery, and hopefully camping. I have been down to a few places before but want some expert advice. Thanks.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tucson. We have the 8ish Days of Christmas MTB festival between Christmas and New Years. Free, the schedule gets put up on the local site, TucsonMTB.com as the holidays approach.
    Riding here in the Sonoran Desert is unlike anywhere else on earth, with the saguaro forests. We have low and high desert rides, mountain rides and over 300 miles of trails around town. More at Phoenix, Prescott and Sedona. Flagstaff, too but that's at 7000'+ so summer riding.
    Tempratures average in to 60's for highs then. You can research the local trails on that site, too.
    If you prefer AM riding wait till you try Milagrosa Trail, Brown Mountain and the tech side of 50 Year Trail. Or perhaps a Mt. Lemmon 6000' descent, weather permitting.
    If you come during the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show it's a world class gem show, the biggest, but lodging is scarce and pricier then. Mid February.
    Last edited by abegold; 10-20-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    agmtb

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Thanks for the info. Tuscon sounds like what I am looking for. I can't wait!
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Since you're talking a month, there's easily a week of great riding in Sedona. Nothing against the Sonoran Desert but I'd take Sedona over Moab any day. Well, not every day but there's far more singletrack. Las Vegas and St. George are also worthy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    +1 for Sedona. Awesome riding and great scenery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just the information I was looking for. Im a kiwi based in Toronto and am looking for some good trails to rip over the holidays. The 8ish days of christmas sounds like just the ticket, can anyone tell me the best place to base myself in the area, i wont have a vehicle. Looking at flying down on the 17th of Dec probably till the 1st of Jan. and if theres any locals that want to ride with a kiwi hit me up.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you stayed in the Hotel Congress downtown there's a live music bar in it as well as a restaurant. Tucson Mountain trails are within riding distance and the city bus can help access more trailheads.
    There are cheaper hotels nearby along Interstate-10.
    Trails surround the town in all directions. One place that would be fun for lodging is called Way Out West in Catalina north of town. They have bikes, Cannondales, and are right below the areas best network in the 50 Year Trail. Even home made wines.
    Skied Hutt, Remarkables and Treble Cone, I can show you most any of the local trails.
    You'll get a lot more info about 8ish Days on TucsonMTB.com as Christmas nears.
    Two of the main guys in the rides are starting a brewery together so it'll be their gig, both better riders than me. If one of the rides at 50 Year has Luis leading, go. He'll show you the place like no one else can, great rider.
    Last edited by abegold; 11-21-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Moab

Rockman, you need to check out all the new singletrack in Moab. Moab Brand trails at BarM are awesome: Long Branch, BarB, Deadman's, North Forty (just opened). Also the Klondike area with EKG, MegaSteps. Dead Horse Point - Intrepid. Moab has really made a push for new singletrack in the past couple of years. Love both Sedona and Moab.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

McDowell Mtn Park-Phoenix area

Travis: Also check out McDowell Mtn Park outside of Fountain Hills (Phoenix area). Mostly not technical, but beautiful singletrack that you can put alot of miles on. The park has plans for tons more singletrack, not sure what the timeframe on that is. There's also a nice campground there that the trails run directly into. My family and I will be camping there between Christmas and New Year's; stop by and say hi!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am also looking to make a trip to the SW but I'm going to have to rent bikes since Florida is rather far. Looking to make the trip sometime between Jan- March. Any suggestions on places where it's not going to be snowing would be great!!! and a good rental shop would be excellent too.

mtbr member

Phoenix

Check out south mountain on your way to/from tuscon, some of the best chunky tech trails in the world spread out over the largest municipal park in the world

Also noteworthy, black canyon trail, white tanks, trail 100, hawes,
    etc etc, check out the az forum sticky for visitors for more info

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Since you're talking a month, there's easily a week of great riding in Sedona. Nothing against the Sonoran Desert but I'd take Sedona over Moab any day. Well, not every day but there's far more singletrack. Las Vegas and St. George are also worthy.
    I'm not so sure I would take Sedona over Moab but each to their own. The trails in Sedona are all broken up and not nearly as epic as the Whole Enchilada, Slick Rock etc in Moab.

The problem is Moab is chilly in the winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I'm not so sure I would take Sedona over Moab but each to their own. The trails in Sedona are all broken up and not nearly as epic as the Whole Enchilada, Slick Rock etc in Moab.

The problem is Moab is chilly in the winter.
    Colder and you can't ride the TWE or Burro Down either.

If I had a month to kill in Dec-Jan I would go further south although Moab is a treat when it's not peak season.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

True

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Colder and you can't ride the TWE or Burro Down either.

If I had a month to kill in Dec-Jan I would go further south although Moab is a treat when it's not peak season.
    Good point. Moab would be chily in Dec and Jan. If I wanted warm weather Phoenix or Tucson would be the best bet..and head up to Sedona if it is warm enough. I live in the chilly, wet NW and would want to enjoy some warm weather.