mtbr member
    May 2009

Chile and Argentina??

howdy,

My girlfriend and I headed to South America to do some riding for the next couple of months. We are doing a guided trip with Sacred Rides in Chile and then plan to travel around and ride different places, We have heard there is good riding around Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes. Does anyone have any good BIKE related info, trails that shouldn't be missed, places to stay, contacts of riders in the area etc.? Any info would be great. Thanks, Pete

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    By the way post this on the MTB group on facebook, its a south florida mt bike group with LOTS of chilean and argentines who can give you feedback...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Argentina !

Both will be epic, but there is some awesome riding, eating, drinking in Bariloche..If you can swing it stay at Llao Llao in Bariloche. They will also be able to help you out with some bike rentals, trails. But just do a search and you will see some very good info on putting together some day trips, trails etc. Enjoy !!

Also be sure to check into the 2 day lake trip from Porto Varas, Chile to Bariloche. Beautiful boat trip thru the lake district. The best way to describe this area of Argentina is it's a lot like Switzerland...On steroids!
    Last edited by eggdog; 01-21-2012 at 04:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Volcan Osorno

I rode through the lakes district this past November and December. There's a good bike shop (didn't get the name, just walked in for some beta) in Puerto Varas that gave me some good info. The shop organizes rides and tours. PV is a cool little town, great vibe.

I took my bike up and over Volcan Osorno. I did it the 'wrong way', (I was heading north on my tour) but it was still an amazing ride on my surly LHT set up tour divide style. You can start in Puerto Clocker (bus out there from PV?) and ride in, come out in Petrohue and then either road ride (60km) in to PV or try to hook up a bus from Ensenada (16km from Petrohue). It'd be a long day but worth it. Exploring!

Beautiful country with amazing people. You'll have fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chile and Argentina??-img_1711.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm heading to Chile in June or July - wonder if there is still good trail riding that time of year?

g3h6o3
    I rode in Bariloche 2 years ago. I went through a local shop, rented the gear and a guide and we headed out for the day. I was alone with the guide, we had a lunch included and we did the "classic tour" (I just told him to bring me along his favorite ride). After te tour was over (went by fast as he usually guides non bikers so we had time left) he asked me what I wanted to ride again but I opted for a swim in a small lake near our parking.

The whole day cost me around 30$ and it was VERY well spent! The rented bike was decent entry/intermediate level hardtail but most importantly well maintained.

Bariloche seems to have tons of great riding but I'm not expert. All I can say it that it's breathtaking on bike or hiking! Go for it!!!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I rode in Torres Del Paine in January. The riding and scenery were fantastic. The trails were not really technical, but there was some singletrack, lakes, guanacos, more lakes and great scenery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Mt. Osorno should make for a stunning ride! The Puerto Varas/Puerto Montt area is beautiful with quite a bit to see and do. I read that you'll be going in the coming months, be sure to pack warm. I was down there from november '10 to january '11 and it sometimes got really cold and windy even though it's summer time in the southern hemishpere.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hi, I am headed down to Santiago in June, did you get some good intel on where to ride? I was really looking for a tour guide service that had bikes as well, so I don't have to ship mine down there as I am going for work for only a week and traveling around. But, wanted a ride that was more intermediate/REAL trails. Help!

AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006
    Do u have any info (shops, MTB rental, trail map recommend, etc) thar u could send along. PM if so. Thanks in advance for your time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
    howdy,

My girlfriend and I headed to South America to do some riding for the next couple of months. We are doing a guided trip with Sacred Rides in Chile and then plan to travel around and ride different places, We have heard there is good riding around Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes. Does anyone have any good BIKE related info, trails that shouldn't be missed, places to stay, contacts of riders in the area etc.? Any info would be great. Thanks, Pete
    bring a big ass lock to protect your rig! i lived in arg for 10+ yeras and stuff has a tendency to grow legs (maybe a little more than elsewhere)