mtbr member
    Jul 2011

... and if we just ... Camping and riding in tahoe/yosemite!! suggestions??

The girlfriend and a few friends are looking to do a nice camping trip this august for about ten days (leave the 2nd and return to salt lake by the 12/13th)

Home for me is New Jersey; grew up riding the tech/rock xc trails of northern new jersey and still love that riding today. I've been having trouble finding the tech trails of slc so i'm planning this trip to get out and find some stuff that may take 2 or more goes to clean!

So the aim of the trip is probably to head to tahoe first; and camp, possibly car camp, without a campground. So i really need suggestions of where to camp where we can legally be there with fire going. From there i need some trail suggestions. I've got my eye on Grouse Ridge (that ride looks awesome!!!) I'd like to do three or more tech. rides and one kind of leisure ride to relax. We'll be riding hardtail XC bikes; but i'm not scared of few foot drops or stuff like that. The girlfriend is just as strong if not stronger when it comes to climbing (years of soccer and crap) so rides that don't require miles and miles of continuous climbing would be ideal. hopefully i'll become a stronger climber by the time the trip happens. Other rides i've heard of are toads, hole in the ground, and the ridge trail. We'll only have one car and i don't really know anything about the shuttle situation, but driving to a trailhead for an out and back or loop would be best.

We might even hike a bit

Then on to yosemite !

havent really researched this area so vastly open for suggestions!

thanks alot!!!

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, I have never MTB'd around Tahoe but I did get the chance to visit Yosemite on a cross-country trip back in 1999 and still remember the epic hike I did to the top of Half Dome. It is a long hike (about 8.5 miles each way) but if you have the time and the energy it is well worth the effort. As I recall I started up the trail around 8am and was not done until 4-5pm. Would do it again in a heart beat. If you choose to do it, bring some gloves (any kind-like cheap leather ones or bike gloves even) for the ascent/descent up of Half Dome's steel cables.

BTW, I'm from the Philly area originally and now call Salt Lake City home. If you have questions regarding riding in SLC/Park City area or where to get a good Philly cheese steak there (yes, you read that right!) send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Also hit Downieville. 5000' descent shuttles thru the forest, brooks, along streams with pools. Huge fun!
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm planning to be in this area for 4-5 days. Any great find?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_today714 View Post
    Unfortunately, I have never MTB'd around Tahoe but I did get the chance to visit Yosemite on a cross-country trip back in 1999 and still remember the epic hike I did to the top of Half Dome. It is a long hike (about 8.5 miles each way) but if you have the time and the energy it is well worth the effort. As I recall I started up the trail around 8am and was not done until 4-5pm. Would do it again in a heart beat. If you choose to do it, bring some gloves (any kind-like cheap leather ones or bike gloves even) for the ascent/descent up of Half Dome's steel cables.
    Just an FYI about the Half Dome hike, you need permits to actually climb the cables now and they 'sell out' super early... I was fortunate to do the hike a good 10 years ago before they needed permits. Google 'half dome permits' for details.