mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Burke Mt. VT -What to expect? My first time with lift service and full suspension

In a couple weeks I'm heading out on vacation, stopping in Vermont for a a week on our way to Maine for a week. I plan to do two days riding the kingdom trails in Vermont. One day on the Darling trails with my girlfriend and one day solo at Mount Burke.

I've never ridden on lift serviced runs before and I'll be renting a bike while I'm there. I've been thinking about getting a full suspension bike (right now I only have a rigid SS 29er) so I'm really excited to try one out on these trails.

So what should I expect from this experience? I've been snowboarding for years, so I'm no stranger to a chair lift but still I've never done this before so I'm not sure how to prepare. Extra pads? Do I need to bring a lock? Ride with a backpack? Can the girlfriend amuse herself at Burke while I ride?

I should say that I've been riding for many years, I can handle a bike and I have a BMX background. I'm not much of a dirt jumper anymore these days but definitely looking forward to some features I don't have on my Michigan/Indiana trails.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Extremely interested in this thread as I am planning the same trip the end of September......

Sorry for the lack of help

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    [QUOTE=ezyrydr;9562827]In a couple weeks I'm heading out on vacation, stopping in Vermont for a a week on our way to Maine for a week. I plan to do two days riding the kingdom trails in Vermont. One day on the Darling trails with my girlfriend and one day solo at Mount Burke.

I've never ridden on lift serviced runs before and I'll be renting a bike while I'm there. I've been thinking about getting a full suspension bike (right now I only have a rigid SS 29er) so I'm really excited to try one out on these trails.

So what should I expect from this experience? I've been snowboarding for years, so I'm no stranger to a chair lift but still I've never done this before so I'm not sure how to prepare. Extra pads? Do I need to bring a lock? Ride with a backpack? Can the girlfriend amuse herself at Burke while I ride?

I should say that I've been riding for many years, I can handle a bike and I have a BMX background. I'm not much of a dirt jumper anymore these days but definitely looking forward to some features I don't have on my Michigan/Indiana trails.

Burke Mt will have a variety of trails from relatively easy to pretty aggressive. The easy are similar to typical XC downhill sections, just a lot longer so normal XC gear is appropriate. On the technical downhill trails you will see full face helmets and body armor (lower your seat). Their are lots of options so you can 'sample'. Full suspension would make the day more enjoyable (imho). The town is pretty small to hang out in for a day. Your girlfriend could see some sights or hike (Lake Willoughby area) or check out St Johnsbury. You can ride from town to the lift and ride back. You don't really need a lock and a typical camelback should be plenty.