mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Blue Ridge/Smokey/GA routes advice

Hi

Does anyone know anything about riding around the blue ridge and smokey mountains area, or GA in general? I've got to go there for a couple of weeks and thought I'd take my bike. When I look up trails they all seem a bit tame, so I was hoping some one might be able to help me out, or indeed tell me where the nearest place worth riding is? Also, I know this is not the place for it, but if anyone knows of climbing in the area or anything else that ticks the "must do" box I'd love to hear. I will have a truck with a caravan, so can travel a bit.

Thanks
    Ian

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You simply have to come to NC. Ride at Tsali. The Nantahala Area SORBA chapter has been doing work out there, and the trails are better than they ever were. Also, the stuff at Pisgah is wicked fun. So much up and down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ok, that looks like a good destination thanks, but I have a few more questions:-

1. Is there a guide book for the area?
    2. What map would I get? I have found that National Geographic seem to make your maps, but I can't find an overall map showing what areas they cover, only regional names
    3. What should I expect, are the trails waymarkered or should I expect to be doing navigation?
    Last edited by eightball; 03-08-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Go make a difference
    Ian,
    I know the area pretty well and, additionally, 20 minutes from Blue RIdge, I can put you on 30 miles of sweet singletrack at Tanasi then take you rafting down the wild scenic Ocoee River all in the same day or different days!

The biggest problem with Blue Ridge proper, is that if you're not familiar with the area, you're going to waste a bunch of time piecing together ride routes because the trails are not systems -- they're bits of single track tied together by FS roads. Great riding, no doubt but who wants to waste precious time fooling with that?!

As for climbing, Mt Yonah is a good climb. There's some other off the grid climbing in the area but most of the really good climbing is in NW Georgia.

I'll gladly shoot you some info, including trail maps of the area. Drop me an email to charles at atlantaoutfitters dot com and I'll get it to you.

Hope this helps!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I rode Tsali when I came over from the UK with my wife. We really enjoyed it.

I would have liked to explore Pisgah more - there was loads of riding and there are books written by Jim Parham that offer very good routes - have a look on amazon. If I were to go to Pisgah I would book a guide (probably for Bent Creek too), just so I knew where I was going.

I have ridden at Tahoe as well (natural trails, not downhill) and I think the trails is NC at Pisgah were not as easy to follow (lots of tree cover, me not being a local and so not knowing the land). You will have a great time though, people are much friendlier than in the UK.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you are in WNC area I would be willing to show you around some awesome trails.

mtbr member
    Lots of climbing (rock) - Looking Glass, Linville Gorge, etc.
    Think about bringing a road bike also - Blue Ridge Parkway, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi,

I've actually done the trip now, can highly recommned it. If anyone it thinking of going I would suggest less travel (120mm would be good, even less for Tsali,) and for Pisgah I wish I had a gps route finding device, most of the time I was under think tree cover and could not navigate easily.

Ian

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ian, If you ever come back to Western North Carolina, we would love to show you around Pisgah or Dupont. There is some really fantastic singletrack here. I also climb and recommend the Looking Glass in NC, and Georgia has good bouldering at Rock Town and rope climbing at The Lost Wall on the road up to Rock Town. Tallulah Gorge in Georgia is good trad climbing as well. Click on our link on our signature below to check out our guiding company called Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures. Take care and Ride on!!