mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Bike Case Options : Let your opinions fly! (And my bike too!!)

Hi there,
    I am going to be going overseas to Israel, and bring my Mt. Bike with. I've been looking into options for packing it, and would like some opinions if anyone has experience with any of these products, or any others that I have yet to come across. I am looking to keep my cost under $200, but I'd also like to show up with a bike in-tact!!! Here is what I have stumbled upon thus far:

http://www.tuffboxcases.com has a bike case that is most of the way down the page on the left side. It's about $150 on Ebay.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000__400174
    This is the "team bike case" from Performance. They are having a 15% off sale, plus 20% back in store credit, which makes this one which is $250 affordable.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...0_20000_400174
    Soft case- only $50...... not sure it's a good idea.

This is all I have come upon thus far that is in my price range. If you have suggestions, that would be great. I'd love to be able to keep it to about the size of a suitcase, even if I need to take it farther apart. Cost is the biggest thing though. Obviously though, if I spend only $5 on a case, but it is so friggin big that it costs me an extra $150 each way to send it on the flight, then that is just stupid. Thank you so much in advance for any advice... Also, feel free to pipe in if you've every ridden in Israel, I'd love to hear about it!

dirtbag

already discussed

peep this thread son,

Airline travel with a bike

I've also been looking into travel cases for this summer. Pika Packworks and EVOC make softcases that look promising. A little bit out of your price range buy you have to pay for protection.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Check out www.bikeflights.com Absolutely the best customer service around, discounted bike shipping, airfares, and travel insurance!! A bike travelerls conceirge! They offer some great deals on Crateworks boxes too! Their boxes are great, hold up, easy to move, and fold flat for storage whilst traveling. The Crateworks Pro-XLC case is a great value!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    whatever you do be sure to buy a case with 4 wheels and handles! I have a hard shell case with just 2 wheels and no handles, what a beast to load and unload on the airport shuttle, and it's a pain to pull through the lines since it rolls width-wise, and with just 2 wheels it's a major pain to your hand.

Mine looks just like this but without the 4 wheels on the bottom (only the two you see on the right side).

http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDeta...ico-Travelcase

I doubt many companies still make them like mine but in case you are buying one off of ebay or craigslist I'd thought I'd give you a heads up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, I went for a cheap-o soft case from performance. I'm in the process of making it be how I want it, so I'll take some pics once it is all packed and ready.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'd be interested in the pics for sure since I am in no way using my old case anymore, it just about killed me this last trip. I am 99% sure it was the reason I had back spasms for 2 days after arriving. Sucks to lose 2 days of an 8 day MTB trip because of injury!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ok, so this is proving to be more effort than I originally thought... But, it's still worth it. By using the soft bag, I will make it under the size and weight limit for the airlines, and it will just count as another piece of luggage. Also, I will actually be able to store it when I get to my destination, and it won't be taking up 1/2 of my apt, like a it hard case would. I should say though, that this bag is poorly designed to begin with..... The wheel sleeves are my biggest complaint. They do not fully cover the wheel, and basically assure that you will have some nice big scratches on your frame unless you take the time to protect it before you pack it all in here. Also, there are no compression straps on the outside. This is a huge pain because my bike is an XS, so it isn't taking up much space in he bag, thus, I need to put straps on the outside to keep all of the extra flappy fabric under control.

Here are photos of how I made it into a more rigid bag, which seems like it will have plenty of protection for my bike. It's simple and cheap. I just had to do the cuts a few times because it is tough to get a good measurement inside the bag. I bought a 8X4 sheet of styrafoam house insulation at the Home Depot. It was $7. I cut 2 pieces that slide into the wheel pockets on the exterior side of the wheels. I also put a piece on the bottom to keep the bottom of the bag rigid. simple, ugly and cheap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    nice innovations there. Especially with the pipe insulation. I would be nervous not having a hard case though, I've sat on many an airplane and watched those guys toss and pile the luggage.

Let us know how it went after the trip!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, I'm still going to put more of the styrafoam on the sides and top to hopefully cut down on the chances of parts getting crushed.... The worse part is that parts are hard to come by where I'm going, so if something doesnt make it, I'm not EXACTLY sure what I'm going to do.... Oh well, hopefully it will work out well. I do not fly for another 2 weeks, so we will see.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I can't tell from your picture but just in case you forgot...be sure to remove the derailleur from the hanger. I forgot a couple of years ago and even inside a hard shell case the hanger was bent from the guys stacking suitcases on it.

You might want to paint "Fragile" on the bag too!