mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Big Island, Hawaii

I'm headed to the Big Island this week for a couple of weeks. I've rented a road bike for the 2 weeks I'm there, because I'm more of a roadie. But are there some decent beginner to intermediate trails there for mountain biking?

We're staying out in Kohola... no in Kona.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I'm not sure that I'll be much help, but this is what I've got. I spent a few years on the east side (Hilo) in the mid 90's.

The island is small enough, don't forget about the east side! Check out Hilo Bike Hub in Hilo, they should be able to set you up with trails/group rides on that side of the island. There were some great trails and dirt/gravel roads then, that hopefully are still around. I know the Hub is still there, as I visited the island a few years ago and still get emails from them.

I also did a ride from Hilo to Kona via Saddle road, so that may be something to check out. That was a two day trip for me back then.

Good luck, and hopefully you also find some decent trails on the west side also. Keep us updated and let us know what you find, I would definitely like to make it back out there again soon!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just spotted this.... Kona Bikeworks in Kona (they have an outpost at the Queen's Shops at Waikaloa, but it's only road/tri bikes) has some MTBs for rent. They set me up with a Trek Fuel EX-something and sent me to the Kaloko Trails up above town. It's short, but cool and different from what I have here in SoCal, so worth doing it at least once. Challenging (to me) because of all the wet, exposed roots. Some steep climbs in there as well.

They also sent me to a beach trail by the airport. Interesting and different, but too much sand. Would love to try that one on a fat bike.

Is the island an epic place for MTB? No, but I like to try every place at least once. The Hilo side is probably better, but I have no personal experience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Big Island not so much no advocacy for mountain bikers. all the land is usually owned by ranchers. also there is Kulani forest that has single track. but if you do contact chris at Bike hub over in Hilo or Franklin at mid pacific wheels. it is very easy to get lost in there

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi, I'm headed to Hilo from the hills of WV. I'll be there Feb 4- Feb 16 and am looking for a buddy to ride with. I'm a 33 year old female, intermediate rider (mntb). If you have an overwhelming desire to be a tour guide through some trails for a day, let me know Jess.

I4NI
    Be carefull! Bad roads and scary drivers! Alot of roads in Kona are shoulderless.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks Star Trek but I'm in the trails. Let me know if you want to ride.

I4NI
    Thanks but wrong island. Heres to a good, safe ride
    There....Are... Four...Lights!