mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Best places to bike NOT in North America?

So I'm thinking about leaving the comfort of this continent.

I'm thinking about a vacation in October and I'm up for travelling anywhere so long as it has quality all mountain trails, and descent weather.

Any Suggestions??

Thanks

C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    October may be a little late but those trails in the Alps are to die for! Many are served by ski lifts. What I would really like to to bike down to a little tavern for lunch and then plunge the rest of the way to the valley floor.

If you want to do some pioneering then the ski resort at Sochi where the Winter Olympics will be soon. The locals are thinking of making a mountain bike park there and my brother-in-law knows them. If you are single then that is where I would go :-)

Jim

mtbr member
    October is tough. If you are open to going in other times of the year these are places I've ridden and had a great time on an AM/Enduro bike.

European Alps: I've been all over and you can't really go wrong. The riding and views you will experience will be great at any of these areas and more. Portes du Soleil region (big area with interconnected lift access resorts), Les Arcs, Les Deux Alpes, Sauze d'Oulx, Chamonix, Verbier, etc.

Italy: Finale Ligure. Riding is excellent as is the local food.

New Zealand: Queenstown and Rotorua. I want to go back to do more exploring here.

Thailand: Chaing Mai. Off the beaten path, a really great riding experience combined with some relaxing on the coast. Excellent food if you like spicy!

Great cultural or historical side trips at any of these locations.

Have fun exploring!

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    October is tough. If you are open to going in other times of the year these are places I've ridden and had a great time on an AM/Enduro bike.

European Alps: I've been all over and you can't really go wrong. The riding and views you will experience will be great at any of these areas and more. Portes du Soleil region (big area with interconnected lift access resorts), Les Arcs, Les Deux Alpes, Sauze d'Oulx, Chamonix, Verbier, etc.

Italy: Finale Ligure. Riding is excellent as is the local food.

New Zealand: Queenstown and Rotorua. I want to go back to do more exploring here.

Great cultural or historical side trips at any of these locations.

Have fun exploring!

I agree with this list - just note that Oct is Winter in NZ.

I enjoyed Rotorua when I was there during Xmas a couple yrs ago.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I give another vote for the Chamonix, France area and South Island of New Zealand. Those are two of my favorite places for MTB outside of North America. I don't know if October would work for either location though as that is kind of a in-between seasons time.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I went and did a week long mountain bike traverse in the High Atlas of Morocco and it was awesome, difficult riding. I went with these guys, Freeridemorocco singletrack mountain bike holidays in Morocco looks like they have some trips in Oct.

mtbr member
    @sko: That looks like a cool mtb vacation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It was an awesome trip, way out there, riding old donkey trails from village to village, some long hard days of riding, but enough time to relax, as the meals are all prepared for you. The only problem is there is no beer. Worth staying extra after the trip to explare the medinas of marrakeck. One of my best trips ever.

Sacred Rides

Peru!

I've ridden all over the world, and I haven't found anything that tops Peru. Unbelievable combination of incredible riding, spectacular scenery, and fascinating local culture.
    Keep ridin',

Mike Brcic, customer happiness manager,
    Sacred Rides Mountain Bike Adventures
    http://www.sacredrides.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Alps are great.
    I've been to the Canary Islands in November. It's really great. Main advantage: it's sunny all the time, you can go when you want. And the 7 main islands offer lots of diversity.