mtbr member
    May 2009

airplane travel and pressure

are there any steps to be taken if i plan on flying my bike somewhere?
    for instance, i figure i need to deflate the tires but what do i do with the co2 canisters in my ride pack? do you just keep them in your carryon? what's the word on suspension pressures and hydro brakes?

mtbr member
    No co2. They'll pitch it for you. And don't worry about the tires, suspension or brakes. The cargo hold is pressurized. I've flown/air-shipped my bike dozens of times with no drama.

If you plan on traveling with lights, take them out when you go through security. There's not much that looks more like a bomb than a light/battery pack. Unless you fly out of CO Springs. They saw my helmet strapped to my carry-on and said 'do you have riding gear in your bag like lights and pedals' to which I replied 'yes' and they said 'I hope you got some good riding in' and just pushed my bag through without a search.

mk

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
    are there any steps to be taken if i plan on flying my bike somewhere?
    for instance, i figure i need to deflate the tires but what do i do with the co2 canisters in my ride pack? do you just keep them in your carryon? what's the word on suspension pressures and hydro brakes?
    Yup no problems...lose the CO2....

Airplanes run at 8 psia rather than 14.6 psia atmospheric pressure so the tires will see an extra 6.6 psi guage pressure....

Sorry they run at 10.9 psia so it is 4.6 psi extra.