Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Fed Ex vs UPS

Anyone know if an individual can set up an account with UPS and get a similar discount? I live in the boondocks. We have a UPS shipping center, but not Fed Ex. Thanks,.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Hey dqs, thanks for the advice. I ended up shipping out yesterday from a FedEx shipping center on Henry Ave. I set up the account and printed at home for a grand total of $75. Not too shabby, especially considering Delta was going to charge me $175 for the case, and probably an additional $50 for the weight. That's $225 for my bike!!! Absurd! I could have bought another plane ticket for less.

Oh well. I'll report back later on my FedEx experience, but I'm assuming things will work out just fine. The one downer about this was my packing experience. I used a Trico case and had to take off my fork. Kind of a pain in the ass, but I guess it's a good way to learn more about building the headset back up.

Cheers traveling bikers!

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    I used a Trico case and had to take off my fork. Kind of a pain in the ass, but I guess it's a good way to learn more about building the headset back up.
    I agree that pulling the fork off is a drag, but imagine how big the case would have to be if it fit a full suspension bike complete with a long travel fork! Regarding the headset, I just used masking tape on the top and bottom of the head tube to hold everything in place during transport. Only took a couple of minutes (with my wife's helping hands) to get the fork back on and tightened up.

I gotta look into getting a Fed Ex account for my next trip.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    I agree that pulling the fork off is a drag, but imagine how big the case would have to be if it fit a full suspension bike complete with a long travel fork! Regarding the headset, I just used masking tape on the top and bottom of the head tube to hold everything in place during transport. Only took a couple of minutes (with my wife's helping hands) to get the fork back on and tightened up.

I gotta look into getting a Fed Ex account for my next trip.

Can you elaborate a little more on the masking tape thing? I'll look into trying that for the way back...

Dude, set up the FedEx account. Literally took me about 3 min. No excuses not to

Here are some pics from the recent packing:

mtbr member
    So if my bike bag is 53" long and 30 inches tall, is it too big?

Sacred Rides
    usually they use linear measurement, which is a total of the width, height and depth. I think I've seen some airlines stating anything under 90 linear inches is OK, but it varies from airline to airline. You have to check with the airline.
    Keep ridin',

Mike Brcic, customer happiness manager,
    Sacred Rides Mountain Bike Adventures
    http://www.sacredrides.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sacredrides
    usually they use linear measurement, which is a total of the width, height and depth. I think I've seen some airlines stating anything under 90 linear inches is OK, but it varies from airline to airline. You have to check with the airline.
    62" is the norm for all (US) domestic carriers. Beyond that it becomes oversize and $$$, though there might be another threshold at 90" which makes it even more expensive.

mtbr member
    I have traveled for the past 1.5 years with my Dahon Fuego. No charges as of yet for a bike. Its small enough people dont get that its a bike. Twice I was asked what it was I said a therapy machine LOL.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Heh! This is a great thread. I just booked my flight to go to Moab(via Denver) and it costs $186 Taxes and all from Buffalo. So now my challenge is to get my bike down there. Has anyone travelled with Continental, they offer a bike box for I think $10. I have a Giant Reign and was wondering if this bike box was any good? I know it is going to cost $100 each way, but I am not mechanically inclined to remove all parts/

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckgunner
    Heh! This is a great thread. I just booked my flight to go to Moab(via Denver) and it costs $186 Taxes and all from Buffalo. So now my challenge is to get my bike down there. Has anyone travelled with Continental, they offer a bike box for I think $10. I have a Giant Reign and was wondering if this bike box was any good? I know it is going to cost $100 each way, but I am not mechanically inclined to remove all parts/
    Be very careful about the airline's fee. They may say $100, but they probably ALSO have a size and weight restriction. I think you need to get on the phone (not just their web page) with their customer service and ask detailed questions about bringing a bike. Last time I looked they have a size and weight restriction of 70lbs and 115 linear inches. 115 linear inches can be difficult to meet with a bike. I know nothing of the box they might sell you, but I would never trust my bike to the luggage gorillas unless it was in a hard case.

I pack my bike packed in that Performance trapezoid "team" case or whatever it's called.

Here's a pic from my excessively excessive photo thread...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...02838#poststop
    Look carefully... one wheel on each side of the frame with air partially out of tires squeezed between the cranks and fork, the fork is turned backwards to make it fit, bar is off and is between the wheels and top tube. The pedals are off and the rear derailleur is off. I backed way off on the tape and silly stuff like removing the rotors the next time, and the process was much faster.

Finally, you need to learn a little about assembling the bike. You could also take it to a bike shop in Moab and I'm sure they'd help you out a bit with it. Just buy something afterwards as a good will gesture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 40hills; 07-16-2009 at 05:29 PM.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the heads up. Looks like the way to go. I see the Team Performance are for sale for $174. But guess what I leave in Canada so the shipping charges are almost $100. Just cannot win with aaagh!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was able to put my bike in a regular hard luggage.

but what about the wheels?

can I take them in a bag as carry on luggage? size 27" diameter and 6" wide.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airline travel with a bike-3358792228_ec4d8bafe8_o.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

relax
    I found an old suite case, worked great!
    I traveled around the world with my Kona Dawg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airline travel with a bike-102_0457.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Awesome. Now tell us about your trip (perhaps on a different forum).

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Anyone tried their luck with this lately with United ?

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Anyone tried their luck with this lately with United ?
    I think this has been said before, but skip the airline and just Fedex to a friend or bike shop. Much less hassle these days, and cheaper too depending on the airline.

Moderator Moderator

Rent a Bike Case LBS

If you don't travel often with your bike, check with your local bikeshops - mine rents one for a reasonable rate & who wants to store it if you only fly every few years...might work for shipping too, if size meets the specs. Costs a little more than a cardboard box, but tougher and easier to wheel around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice post...Thank you very much!!......

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Great thread! Very helpful!

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    I have flow 3 times so far with bikes. Each time I just get a box from my LBS and pack it well. I usually put alot of stuff in the box along with the bike (they don't charge per weight, just the bike, from my experiences). Two times I had been shipping my track bike(no problems) and this last time I was bringing my mtn bike(problem). As soon as the bike started coming around on the luggage belt I could see the TSA tape job on the box, I could also see that the box had been a bit damaged and most importantly... I could see my right hand shifter through the one handle opening. I knew this couldn't be good! Got to my destination, opened the box and noticed that they did a horrible job of repacking it! I set it up and took out for a ride to dial in on the shifting and work out the tweaks. It was shifting a bit weird but I thought it would be ok for the race the next day. After my first lap i go to shift up and click, click, click click. NOTHING! Its not working. I had to finish the last 2 laps with just three up front.

Does anyone know if TSA will reimburse me for my now broken shifter from there shoity repacking job?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Trico Iron Case

I took my full carbon mountain bike to Europe last month in a Trico Iron Case I picked up for $125 on craigslist. I put a little extra foam tubing around the carbon derailleur and the bar, etc. It feels like you are really crunching your bike in there, but it came out just fine. TSA inspected and re-packed it on the return leg and did a nice job. I was impressed!

FYI, British Airways still does not charge for bikes (yet), but they do count toward your baggage allowance. They can charge an overweight fee, apparently at their discretion (over 25 kg, if I recall). My bike and case were about 28kg and they did not charge me the extra weight fee in either direction.

Hauling the bike box onto crowded trains was a different challenge altogether, but we managed

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thats what we were told and what the signage says at the terminal but we were charged $79 bike fee on top of the charge for 1st not free checked bag(IRC $49???) we argued and got management involved but bottom line was you may be charge two charges for transporting bikes. FWIW, we went Baltimore to Seattle roundtrip and drove to Whistler.
    I used cardboard bike store boxes and even squeezed a Thule car bike rack into one box and all our DH armor in the other box. So we had one bag and two bike boxes total for 10 days of Whistler, not bad

Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Just to add some updated information, the wife and I took a spring break trip with are bikes and had no issues transporting our Trico Ironcase-packed bikes on Airtran ($79 per bike, each way). Airtrain offers no-frills service, but the upside of that is the fares are reasonable, the fee for bikes is one of the lowest of the airlines and it's inexpensive to upgrade to business class (there is no first class) where you get free drinks and attentive service. Very cool.

2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    I have flown with my bikes 3 times now. First two times was with my freeride bike (Turner Highline) and I put it in a cardboard bike box. I decided I hate this method as the box inevitably gets pretty beat up and resulted in a few small chips to my paint. Also the box is big and bulky and hard to carry around and transport in vehicles.

I just went on a trip last week to California - SF Bay area. I took my trail bike (Banshee Spitfire) this time. I decided to try the route that some of my friends have done before, and used a large hockey gear bag. I bought the largest bag with wheels I could find at my local sporting goods store, which happened to be a Reebok bag measuring 40x18x18. I also bought some 1" thick foam sheets from the fabric store. I was able to fit my whole bike plus helmet and camel back in this bag, and actually had room for more stuff but then it was over 50 lbs. The advantage to using this approach is the airlines shouldn't charge you the extra bike fees, as this bag looks just like regular luggage. With careful and proper packing, there shouldn't be any damage either. And the bag has both wheels and handles, so it is easy to move around. I will post some pics when I get home.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
    I bought the largest bag with wheels I could find at my local sporting goods store, which happened to be a Reebok bag measuring 40x18x18. I also bought some 1" thick foam sheets from the fabric store. I was able to fit my whole bike plus helmet and camel back in this bag, and actually had room for more stuff but then it was over 50 lbs.
    Beware that 62 linear inches is the common maximum for US carriers for regularly checked luggage. Beyond that it is considered oversized and up to their baggage rates. I've taken my S&S case (26x26x10") more than a dozen times r/t on United and it has never been measured, though YMMV.

Just to carry wheels, the smallest case practical needs to be at least ~26x26" (that'll fit 700x28c or 26x2.1" with tires deflated, or 29er with tires removed). You then only get 10" of depth to stay legit in the 62", which even for a S&S or Ritchey coupled bike is a PITA to fit (a fully disassembled Turner Flux and RFX will also fit).

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    JustMtn44: Sounds brilliant. Were you able to get your bike in the bag without removing the fork? Anxiously awaiting those photos.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast