Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    has anyone used a tri all 3 sport case? if so, experiences and opinions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

when they ask me what is in the box, I tell them bicycle parts. they say ok.
    keep it under 62 linear inches and 50 pounds fully of bike parts, and there
    is nothing they can do. since my wooden box I made is screwed together,
    tsa has not taken the effort to open it up. I even mark the easy side for
    them to open up.

Gringo
    No problems traveling on United this week from Germany to Portland. They charged me the advertised 125 dollars. Smooth sailing, even on the 9/11 through 9/12 flight home. The TSA guys are doing a good job.

G.

MTB B'dos
    Well this is the 3rd time I've travelled with my XL RIP9 29er bike and I have not had to pay anything extra. I do as other posters have mentioned and totally dissemble the bike, pack the front and rear triangle and wheels and other misc stuff into a 29er wheel box that measures just over the 62 linear inches and then stick the fork, cranks and a few others into a hard bottomed duffle with clothes top and bottom. I wrap the frame up in either cardboard or bubble wrap. I plan on fabricatin a proper box out of either thin alu or maybe Fibre Glass or some such sometime in the future.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Flew to Denver and back last week from NYC with Jet Blue, $50 each way with my large bike case.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just thought I'd add my 2c and that is for international travel I've used British Airways and been quite pleased (Johannesburg, South Africa thru London To Vancouver, Canada) It's been free each time I've gone with a "standard" hardshell bike box - no extreme disassembly required. Delta Airlines is another story though - $300 roundtrip! They seem to charge for every little extra.

UpHiller
    On my last trip Delta wanted $700 for my girlfriend and I to take our bikes on the plane round trip. Insane to say the least.

I shipped them FedEx through shipbikes.com.

Gringo
    I went through the self-check in at Delta in Atlanta headed to Liberia, Costa Rica, and a second time on the way to Munich, Germany. The first time I went to the kiosk, scanned the passport, selected 2 bags to check, took my gate pass to the baggage handler where she obliviously printed out the baggage tags, slapped them on, no notice of oversize. The second leg through Atl to Munich, I checked-in online, went straight to the baggage check, and the same thing. They scan the gate pass, didn't pay attention to size, and again no penalty.

Partly luck, partly airport setup.

G.

lookin' for a hill
    I took british airways this summer, had no trouble getting the bike there and back, no charge, and no hassle. I called to tell them before each flight that I would be arriving with such. The check-in people never batted a lash. They did say however that in november they would start charging for bike boxes weighing more or bigger than what they want. no experience with that yet. I used a toughbox which i think you can still find on ebay.
    look in my profile at the pictures to see the box and bike packed. I was going for a three month stay and was able to pack extra clothes and shoes and such with the bike.

mtbr member
    In late September I flew from ATL to PHL with my road bike in a Serfas hard bicycle case which I rented from a local shop for $50. Delta charged me $175 each way, plus $50 each way since it was a second checked bag. What a rip off.

Without a full suspension bike or an S&S'd bike that can be split in half, I don't see how obscene charges can be avoided. There are lots of good ideas/tricks in this thread that I wish I had seen before I took this trip. Thanks for the input!

Mark
    Dec 2007

Are you getting Porked by your airline?

Welcome to the wonderful world of "Cost Centers"

With the elimination of pillows, blankets, hot food and that wonderful Amerian invention: the $15 bag charge we have all been screwed.

None have been screwed more thoroughly that the cyclist who wants to take their bike on a plane in the U.S.!! I used to pay a relatively nominal $50 each way for my bike case. Now it ranges from about $100 to as much as $200 depending upon the airline.

The only way we can make an impact on this situation is for some of our larger organizations (like Cycling USA, NORBA, UCI) to take an activist role in this situation.
    Also, if someone here or at one of the cycling magazines was to publish a list of the ACTUAL (not rumored) and up to date fees for bike cases on each airline we could all be better and more knowledgeable consumers when selecting our airline (both for business and pleasure travel)

If the airlines see that they are being measured and the results made public they just MIGHT change this. However as long as the fees are buried in the fine print of baggage rules and subject to change with very little fanfare we will continue getting porked to fly our bikes!
    ===============

Mark

Sacred Rides
    I use a bag made my Pika Packworks and it has served me well. It's smaller and more compact than most bike bags, so i can often get away with the ticket checker not knowing it's a bike bag.

Since I run guided tours all over the world, I have spent a good portion of my time dealing with airlines. I'm trying to sign deals with some of the major airlines to get discounted flights and free bike shipping for my clients. Many of them have been receptive - I tell them that bike fees are one of the biggest peeves for mountain bikers, and that most bikers will gladly pay more for a competitor's flight if they don't have to pay bike fees. They're usually quite surprised to hear this and willing to work with me on it, especially when I point out that bikes typically weigh about as much as a set of golf clubs (which usually fly free)

Perhaps we can get them to change their ways and stop charging us!
    Keep ridin',

Mike Brcic, customer happiness manager,
    Sacred Rides Mountain Bike Adventures
    http://www.sacredrides.com

mtbr member

And another thing......to consider.

The problem may or may not end after getting the bike to you destination airport. I am coordinating a group of 7 riders going to Tahoe this year. We are flying in from all over the place...Jamaica, Tampa, London and possibly Alabama.

Once we all arrange to fly into a particular airport, how do we get the bikes to the destination. Once at our destination, how do we move the bikes to different trails easily ??

What we are doing is 1. Some of the guys are shipping their bikes to a LBS. 2. Others are packing their bikes into soft cases so that the bike can be assembled at the airport and the bag stored in the trunk of the car. We are going to have to bring 2 of the cheap trunk mounted bike racks with us. Renting 3 full size cars is much better than renting an SUV. renting 3 vehicles also increases the options to split the group if they want to go seperate ways or different restaurants.

In the past we rented a large van and strapped the cardboard bike boxes to the top of the van, the last time we dented to top of the van because of the weight. Thank goodness they did not check. In this scenario, we rode to the trailhead each day. We had to unpack the bikes at the rented house and pack them up when we were leaving. When we go to Tahoe, we will be driving to various locations like Downeville, S. Shore Trailheads, etc.

long standing member
    Just to add some updated information, the wife and I took a spring break trip with are bikes and had no issues transporting our Trico Ironcase-packed bikes on Airtran ($79 per bike, each way). Airtrain offers no-frills service, but the upside of that is the fares are reasonable, the fee for bikes is one of the lowest of the airlines and it's inexpensive to upgrade to business class (there is no first class) where you get free drinks and attentive service. Very cool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    MTBMich had a great idea.

Within the US I just shipped my bike FedEx in my Thule 699, weight 62lbs, $4000 insurance for $63. Way better than most of the domestic airlines and at least it's insured.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Within the US I just shipped my bike FedEx in my Thule 699, weight 62lbs, $4000 insurance for $63. Way better than most of the domestic airlines and at least it's insured.
    That's about half the price that I've been quoted. Could you provide more info about how you're shipping the package? IOW:

Are you shipping from residence to residence or are you using a commercial account?

What is the origination and destination?

What are the dimensions of your case, exactly? The specs say 47" x 10.5 x 30.5, which is almost exactly the same as my Trico cases, sometimes the specs are off.

I'll be considering this shipping option in the future, if I can get the price down a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Very helpful thread. Indeed, keep it updated. So far, I've only been charged $60 each way on Jet Blue, with no hassle. I use a soft bike bag.

Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    That's about half the price that I've been quoted. Could you provide more info about how you're shipping the package? IOW:

Are you shipping from residence to residence or are you using a commercial account?

What is the origination and destination?

What are the dimensions of your case, exactly? The specs say 47" x 10.5 x 30.5, which is almost exactly the same as my Trico cases, sometimes the specs are off.

I'll be considering this shipping option in the future, if I can get the price down a bit.
    I think it's closer to 47*11*27. Shipping it from a FedEx location to my residence, paying at the FedEx ship centre when I dropped it off. I'd calculated $63 when I'd worked it out online, when the lady measured etc it came to $63.20 or something close. I like the fact that it's insured for $4000, unlike the airline when you feel lucky if you arrive, let alone your luggage.

edit: Shipped from HSV, AL to NYC

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If you are looking for a beefy case, take a look at these guys: http://www.hybridcases.com/ I have one of their cases that I use for moving electronics. Works very well

-E

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    This is a very cool thread. I'm flying to UT in about 3 weeks and have been very perplexed about how to get my ride out there. Unfortunately I'm flying out on Delta, which has totally screwed bikers forever. $175 each way, with an added $50 if the case is over 50#. I think that's ridiculous, however airlines are making a killing this way. Too bad a handful of them probably won't be around much longer anyways...

I'm starting lean more towards shipping the bike out instead of flying with it. Does anyone have any specific advice about which carrier to go with? Fedex, DHL, UPS, etc. Trying to get the best rate. Shipping from Philly to SLC. Thanks!

relax

Airline baggage regulations

I am planing a big trip with my bike too, and I found this site:

"Airline baggage regulations for bikes"

http://www.ibike.org/encouragement/travel/bagregs.htm

Check it out it could save you some $$$.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Travel With Bike

I set up my own Fed Ex account and shipped to final destination, and shipped back by dropping at Fed Ex Ship Center. The key is using your own account and printing your own shipping labels (cost much more if you pay through shipping center). Paid $65 each way standard ground from Philly to Sedona. Avoids the hassel of Airline. I used Trico case but you can use box as well.
    DQS21

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by dqs21
    I set up my own Fed Ex account and shipped to final destination, and shipped back by dropping at Fed Ex Ship Center. The key is using your own account and printing your own shipping labels (cost much more if you pay through shipping center). Paid $65 each way standard ground from Philly to Sedona. Avoids the hassel of Airline. I used Trico case but you can use box as well.
    Hey dqs,

I'm actually getting ready to fed ex a bike from Philly to SLC. I'm also iusing a Trico case and I'm guessing it will weigh between 60 and 70 lb. I entered the info on the fed ex site and I keep getting a $94 estimate. Do u think it was cheaper because u set up an account? I can't imagine SLC would be significantly more expensive than Sedona.

Let me know if u have any tips for getting the cheaper rate. Any input would be much appreciated, as I'm shipping out later today. Thanks much!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I believe there is a 15% + discount for having own account, it only took a few minutes to set up on-line. Much less expensive than going to shipping center. I actualy went to a shipping center and they told me it would be $190, went back to hotel, used a computer to access my fed ex account and printed my own lable and it was $65.

My exprience is setting up your own account is least expensive way, you can still drop off at shipping center for pick-up if you wish. All info is availible on Fed Ex site. Only issue I found is you do not want to ship the bike to a shipping center, they may not accept it if you ship ground.
    DQS21

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast