Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Advice: Moab or Sedona

I did a quick thread search and didn't see a head to head discussion...
    but I'm planning a weeklong trip and have heard alot of good things about both Moab and Sedona.

I like all types of riding from freeride to xc. I'll likely bring my Intense Uzzi, but don't mind pedaling it around... our normal loop here has close to 5K ft of climb. Also, budget is not much of a concern

Anyway, wanted to hear thoughts on which destination would be best..
    also, best season to go.. and any recommendations on lodging

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If budget was not much concern to me I would be in Bolivia. Look it up on youtube. There is an American group that does guides down there its pretty wild. I'm not much help I'm just dreaming.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Do both. You'd have time to hit the hot spots of each place...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Big question is when?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    Big question is when?
    June, July, and August and you will bake your brains out at either. That narrows it down to 9 months. Dec, Jan, Feb is more iffy for Moab than Sedona although both can see winter weather. Spring/Fall is perfect for either but Moab will be far more crowded. That should narrow it down a bit

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Sedona is awesome but Moab is surreal riding. I would pick Moab but you have to drive to most of the drives while in Sedona you can ride to most. Oh, heck, I like Moab better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I live in Phoenix and have done both. Moab is amazing. Sedona is great too but since it is so close I would do the trip to Moab for a vacation. Fruita is not too far from Moab and has some great stuff too. Its all good. And as far as what time of year, its a dry heat. Haha.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've been to both and I would have to go with Moab. Sedona is pretty, but the riding in Flagstaff is MUCH better than Sedona. Anyways, if you go to Moab, make sure you ride Porcupine Rim, and the Slickrock Trail. Enjoy!

Airborne Flight Crew
    do yourself a favor and skip Slickrock altogether and ride ANYthing else. Porcupine Rim is cool, better to make it a real epic do the Whole Enchilada. You start in High Alpine singletrack, climbing up over Burrow Pass, then drop down to one the most incredible views available to any mountain biker - then descend through Hazard, Kokopelli, UPS and LPS. Best ride in Moab hands down.

Slickrock is fun, for about a quarter mile, then you've seen it all. Seriously, Mag 7 or Amassa to Jackson will do your Uzzi Justice.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    do yourself a favor and skip Slickrock altogether and ride ANYthing else. Porcupine Rim is cool, better to make it a real epic do the Whole Enchilada. You start in High Alpine singletrack, climbing up over Burrow Pass, then drop down to one the most incredible views available to any mountain biker - then descend through Hazard, Kokopelli, UPS and LPS. Best ride in Moab hands down.

Slickrock is fun, for about a quarter mile, then you've seen it all. Seriously, Mag 7 or Amassa to Jackson will do your Uzzi Justice.

If you must do Slickrock, just do the practice loop. Don't waste the rest of your day. The above recommendations are spot on. With regards to Sedona, I went there ten years ago on my honeymoon. Weather was crap in March, only got out one time. Best bad weather trip ever

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    A combo Moab and Fruita/Grand Junction trip will provide all the riding and eye popping scenery that you can stuff into a week's stay. The variety and options are almost endless. An excellent intro to Southwestern riding.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Moab.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    A combo Moab and Fruita/Grand Junction trip will provide all the riding and eye popping scenery that you can stuff into a week's stay. The variety and options are almost endless. An excellent intro to Southwestern riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks, everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it. It's starting to look like Moab in early May..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffshredman View Post
    Thanks, everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it. It's starting to look like Moab in early May..
    Sedona is going off right now. Trails are just multiplying like crazy. Flip a coin; they're both spectacular.

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Depends on the time of year you are going.

Moab is half snow covered until spring, Sedona is probably 15 degrees warmer. I spent a week in sedona over christmas, did 65 miles of all different trails and didnt cover 1/4 of what i could have ran.

I like Sedona more, but you NEED to to get the right combos of trails. its essentially a spiderweb of trails and to link the best ones up you need to talk to the locals (or follow traildoc's loops on his site). I rode with a local every day i was there so it was great. No matter what you decide it will be great. If you head to sedona you need to do Highline and Mescal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Moab is amazing, I was there last spring and will return as soon as I possibly can. Good downtown too.

Rohloff

ouch....
    I hope to get to sedona & flagstaff some day, but haven't been there yet.

That being said, I've been to Colorado/Utah the past 2 years in a row. Moab is cool, Love the Whole Enchilada !!! Amasa Back is also sweet. We save slickrock for the end of a day, ride about 1/2 as the sun goes down & bring the lights. Very cool experience & not many people out.

Fruita is also very cool & not far.
    Riding.....

Yappy little dog!
    MOAB! Especially in early May. Perfect time of the year!

mtbr member
    I've been riding in both areas for over 15 years.
    Sedona can take a bit more time to "figure out"-it's love/hate for many people the first trip there.
    The trail building in the past 5 years or so in Sedona is awesome, but it still takes riding with a local or a lot of research ahead of time to dial it in for a short trip.
    Overall, it's easier to have an "upscale" experience in Sedona with lodging and meals. I have never found Sedona trails to be crowded.
    Moab is easy to figure out-the good stuff is well known and the recent trail building activity is awesome. There is much more easy to access trail variety now than there was just a few years ago as far as trail type and tech difficulty.
    Lots more to do in Moab off the bike than in Sedona-or at least off the bike activities are on a larger scale in Moab.
    Reality of Sedona is that it is very close to Flagstaff AZ. Flagstaff has amazing riding so you should consider a day or two in Flag as part of a Sedona trip.
    Sedona is really just interesting and very scenic trail riding-there are very good rides there, but not one that is a stand alone epic-Yes, you can link a bunch of stuff for an epic day of riding and a few trails have sections that really stand out, but for the most part, Sedona rides will feel short in distance although they can give a real workout if you are not used to the terrain.
    Moab has epic long rides at all tech abilities as well as many new singletrack loop options and trail systems across a wide variety of trail types and riding surfaces.

banned
    Mar 2004
    I'm partial to Sedona but I've never ridden Moab. I'm partial because I have a friend with a house there they I can stay for free! Except for food and beer. Not a fan of slick rock. Just bores me to tears. I can do that in DuPont if I want and I don't want. Put me in the trees with some single track anyday!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try St George with Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek next.
    Gooseberry is the most fun trail I've ever ridden. Little Creek is easier so an excellent way to start, if you can find someone to help you find it. Many trails. Get you Zen (Trail).
    agmtb

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sedona is awesome....it's the only place I have ridden that compares with my home town riding ere in Virging Utah (Gooseberry, Little Creek, etc..).

Fruita is IMO, better than Moab. No Jeeps, ATV or motos to deal with.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Mo-HAb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast