mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Acadia national Park

So I'm going up to ANP I about a week and am wondering if anyone knows of any good mountain biking in the park?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    To be honest with you I have never MTB'd on the island, but I have riden my cross bike on the carriage road system which is excellent. There are a lot of miles of rolling gravel toped roads which would be overkill for a mountain bike. Or consider putting a skinny slick type, ie fast rolling tire on your mtb and give it a try. Do the climb up the Cadillac Mountain autoroad. There is a decent bike shop in town that could point you in the direction of some mtb trails maybe. Expect crowds cause that is a busy place in the summer.

mtbr member
    The best singletrack trail in the park is Breakneck trail. The worst singletrack trail in the park is Breakneck trail. Do you see what i am getting at? Its a pretty nice trail to ride and you can use the carriage trails to make a loop back to where you started from. Biking on the carriage trails is quite nice but its just a dirt road. There are some nice trails off of it, however, bikes are not allowed on them. You could ride them anyway but don't let a park ranger see you. If you want to spend a day actually mountain biking, there are plenty of trails within an hour or so. My advice would be to hook up with Rose Bike in Orono or Ski Rack Sports in Bangor for a group ride.

mtbr member
    Carriage roads are all you get in ANP for biking off-road. Do not get caught on any trail other than a carriage road. The park rangers are federal agents and do not take this lightly. They will fine you and it is a federal offense to be cited in any national park. I see people try to fight this in court and it is laughable. Federal judges get pissed when you waste their time with petty crap like this.

I absolutely recommend hiking in the park though. I have done many of the trails there and they are spectacular. Bee Hive, Jordan Cliff, Precipice, etc. There may be some ST biking on the island but not in the park.

mtbr member
    Even though the carriage roads are just that, they are very beautiful. I would recommend riding them at dawn, you will have them to yourself, you'll probably see more wildlife, and the light and scenery is way better. I did a 30 mile loop while my family slept in, the mist on the ponds at daybreak was spectacular.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice some solid advice, thanks for the info guys.