mtbr member
    Jun 2007

3 Week bike trip from Colorado?

Hey All,

Looking for ideas for a 3 week bike trip that I'm planning in the Spring (may-ish). It would be a mtb road trip and was looking at leaving Fort Collins and heading to Moab, Booteg Canyon and Southern California. Do you think this would be a lot of driving, or could anyone else recommend some great places to ride? Really wanted to go ride the North Umqua Trail, but I think its just too long of a drive 2,000 miles to get there from (Fort Collins).

Maybe switch it up and spend a week in Moab and then cruise down to AZ and NM for some riding?

Any input would be great! Its about 50/50 if I will have some friends going along as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Over the course of 3 weeks you're fine. I've done trips like that with my husband in 10-14.

We drove one day from Durango to Riverside. 14 hours. Stopped at 4 corners and in Palm Springs for breaks.

It really depends on how you utilize your time and how worth it is Drove all night one night to get to Crested Butte from Sun Valley. It was worth it to have breakfast at izzie's.

Have you done Fruita? I'd ride that over Moab (granted, when we rode Moab it was like unheard of rain, flooded out everywhere, etc.). But, I'd do 2 nights, 3 days at either (Grand Junction, 18 Road, Kokopelli Trails). Then you could hit up Thunder Mountain / Gooseberry depending on time in May and snow, or head to AZ (Sedona, Black Canyon). Bootleg is good for about a day, and Vegas also has the Cowboy Trails off 15.

I haven't ridden much in the area, but Santa Barbara or even up by SLO should have some good riding. Further south, Irvine area has the Santa Anas, which have some nice trails, but mostly a lot of county parks that aren't really destinations IMO.

mtbr member
    Grand Junction/Fruita-Moab-Flagstaff/Sedona-Vegas/Bootleg/Cottonwood/Cowboy/Charleston-St George/Hurricane-Home.

Hitting all of the above in 3 weeks would be pretty casual.
    I'd blow off the SoCal component.

I live in SoCal, and do variations of loops off I-15 and I-70 between SoCal and Boulder Co several times each spring and fall.

Late April early may would be good before the Canyon Country/desert heats up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Spend as much time as you can in Utah that time of year.... Moab is obviously good, but the trails in southern UT around St. George are incredible in April and May. Last March I drove from Boulder to St. George (via Capitol Reef NP), spent a few days there, then across southern UT and northern AZ, back up through Moab and home- all in 7 days. It never seemed like too much driving. The scenery through that part of the country is incredible.

If you're into mixing things up on your trip, the hiking and photography in May are outstanding as well- the wildflowers all over Utah are starting to come out and provide a great contrast to the otherwise barren landscape.