Ugly As F*ck

2 week road trip - I could use some guidance..

So I'm thinking about cashing in my vacation time for a 2 week fall season road trip. I'd be heading to New Mexico (from Texas), might even venture as far as Colorado.

I plan on roughing it the entire time. Only problem is I've never roughed it before. As sad as it is to say, I've never been camping. I need to know the essentials that I'll need to take with me. Both for camping purposes and riding.

I have a pickup truck with a camper shell. I'm going to buy an air mattress and sleep in the camper. I'll need to buy a sleeping bag also.

As far as food, I'm thinking I can survive most of the trip off of raw oats and whey protein. Not sure how I'd clean/rinse out my protein shaker without using precious bottled water though. Is it not a good idea to have dry food goods like that in your vehicle when in bear country?

Other bare essentials I'll need? Flashlight? Duct tape? Road flares? Grenade launcher?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Living in Texas you don't need a warm sleeping bag but Colorado and NM are different. You can buy differnt types of sleeping bag liners for added warmth or a normal width bag and bring your blankets and pillows. You'll need soap and towels and a solar shower works if you have time to leave it in the sum a few hours. The difference between the cheap ones, $10 and higher endo ones, $40 is resistance to leaks. Just fill the cheap one when you need it and don't drive around full and you're ok, but that can be a pain, too.
    You'll want an ice chest, prefer the kind that's super insulated so ice lasts for days.
    rei.com (and other sites) have camping check lists. Start packing a couple days ahead and keep a list of what you need, I always forget something, silverwear recently.
    SOme neat trails in NM:Cloudcroft has a bunch, Santa Ana north of Las Cruces. North and South Boundary by chilly Taos (my NM favorite, skier). White Mesa is unique.
    agmtb