mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Zion Canyon area

I will be visiting Zion Canyon in October , what type of riding if any is in the area?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Lot's of good riding in the Zion area. Gooseberry Mesa, which boarders Zion, has some of the best riding in the state. St. George area, which is also near Zion, has many nice trails. Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs is a good resource for trail info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Awesome! Thanks for the link, I will check it out. Is this something I would need a FR/DH bike for or a trail bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Unless you are going to be riding the Rampage stuff I would just bring a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is what something you need a dh bike for? There is like 200 miles of great trail in the area. I see bikes on the trails ranging from Rigid SS to DH rigs. I think lightweight 4-5 inch travel bike is perfect. That being said I don't own such a bike and ride my 29 hardtail and love it.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    There is plenty of riding to do on a hardtail. Most people will appreciate a little suspension though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, I'll be passing through and plan on staying 4 days to do some hiking through Zion canyon. I'll have my bikes which are DH/FR bikes and have planned one day to ride , I am trying to figure out if I should take my trail bike which is a 140mm travel bike. I am thinking however that I can probably get away with my wife's FR bike, it climbs good but is still a little heavy for a 6hr give or take ride. I've never ridden this are before and am trying to get a feel for the type of climbing , is it short and steep climbs or will there be some long grinding climbs. Looking at videos that I can find the climbs do not seem too bad but then again people can always edit that out of their video. Just looking at maps I am thinking of Gooseberry Mesa , now if I wanted to do something like ride up Gould's rim, down JEM and then link into the Hurricane Rim Trail is this something that I could easily get lost or is everything easy to navigate with a map? I'll be calling some of the local shops in the next few days to also get a better idea.

mtbr member
    They tend to be short and steep

beater

Zion Canyon area

Doing the Gould-JEM loop on a big bike would make me sad.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ha ha, maybe I'll see if I can get a third rack then and take a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbo123 View Post
    Well, I'll be passing through and plan on staying 4 days to do some hiking through Zion canyon. I'll have my bikes which are DH/FR bikes and have planned one day to ride , I am trying to figure out if I should take my trail bike which is a 140mm travel bike. I am thinking however that I can probably get away with my wife's FR bike, it climbs good but is still a little heavy for a 6hr give or take ride. I've never ridden this are before and am trying to get a feel for the type of climbing , is it short and steep climbs or will there be some long grinding climbs. Looking at videos that I can find the climbs do not seem too bad but then again people can always edit that out of their video. Just looking at maps I am thinking of Gooseberry Mesa , now if I wanted to do something like ride up Gould's rim, down JEM and then link into the Hurricane Rim Trail is this something that I could easily get lost or is everything easy to navigate with a map? I'll be calling some of the local shops in the next few days to also get a better idea.
    The trails you mentioned are much better suited to a trail bike. DH/FR is way overkill. I am assuming you are riding other areas you are travelling through? If not, just take the trail bike would be my suggestion unless you have the skills for something like flying monkey and will have another rider along. Hit up Over the Edge bike shop in Hurricane to buy a map and get some info, they are good guys.

mtbr member
    Yes, most if the best/popular trails in the area are best suited to a lighter short /mid travel bike like your 140mm trail bike, however there are some fun trails in the area that big bike appropriate.

Grafton Mesa
    Flying Monkey
    Nefi's Twist
    Brianhead

Four of those are shuttles, and the other most people shuttle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    [QUOTE=BumpityBump;11371353]The trails you mentioned are much better suited to a trail bike. DH/FR is way overkill. I am assuming you are riding other areas you are travelling through? If not, just take the trail bike would be my suggestion unless you have the skills for something like flying monkey and will have another rider along. Hit up Over the Edge bike shop in Hurricane to buy a map and get some info, they are good guys.

I don't know how I missed your post. This trail looks bad a!& ! Border line on my skill level, probably a little too much considering that cameras never do the trails justice. The beginning is what would get me , that almost sheer drop on your right hand side with no trees to catch your fall. The midway point looks really fun.
    Yes, I will be coming from a few lift assisted bike parks before we stop off in the Zion area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Yes, most if the best/popular trails in the area are best suited to a lighter short /mid travel bike like your 140mm trail bike, however there are some fun trails in the area that big bike appropriate.

Grafton Mesa
    Flying Monkey
    Nefi's Twist
    Brianhead

Four of those are shuttles, and the other most people shuttle.
    Great, thanks! I'll look into them, I saw the video posted a few comments before yours. Flying Monkey looks really fun, the beginning however, looks pretty sketchy. There would be a pucker factor for sure!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=kimbo123;11375812]
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump View Post
    The trails you mentioned are much better suited to a trail bike. DH/FR is way overkill. I am assuming you are riding other areas you are travelling through? If not, just take the trail bike would be my suggestion unless you have the skills for something like flying monkey and will have another rider along. Hit up Over the Edge bike shop in Hurricane to buy a map and get some info, they are good guys.

I don't know how I missed your post. This trail looks bad a!& ! Border line on my skill level, probably a little too much considering that cameras never do the trails justice. The beginning is what would get me , that almost sheer drop on your right hand side with no trees to catch your fall. The midway point looks really fun.
    Yes, I will be coming from a few lift assisted bike parks before we stop off in the Zion area.
    Not my video fyi, but fun to watch. Pucker factor would be right. I'm not a FH/DH guy but have ridden the other trails around there quite a bit over the years. JEM/Goulds loop is fun, flowy, fast single track with some climbs and a little bit of rocks thrown in here and there. Great XC type riding. Gooseberry is more twisty, turny, ups and downs and provides more fun for you bigger bike. If you only ride one of the listed areas (outside of those mentioned by KRob), gooseberry would be a good bet with your longer travel bike and wouldn't require a shuttle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think Gooseberry might be my best choice, I might try and look into the Gafton Mesa trail but I think logistically might be difficult for me.
    I do however want to see pedalfarawy do Flying Monkey on his 29'er hardtail.