mtbr member

Zen trail question

A group of us wanna head up to st. George this weekend and hit the Zen trail, maybe a couple others. Is it doable on a hard tail, you think?

Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

100% yes

I have ridden with strong techinical riders that ride everything on the ZEN on hartails and even rigids. There are not any huge required drops on the trail. 1 nasty small drop turn spot that I always walk. Get your Zen on don't worry about the bike.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

ito
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Plenty of folks ride it SS/rigid, a hardtail is just fine. Depending on fitness level a good all day ride is the Green Valley Loop to Zen Trail to "Acid Drops"/"three fingers of death" to Barrel Roll and back to Green Valley via dirt or pavement. Hits the best of the in town St. George riding.

Of course the GVL and Zen Trail together form a pretty good ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I would do that ride in a different order if it were me.

Park at the Bottom of the Zen, Do Zen, then either climb the racecourse washes and go down garbage hill, or take cove wash to the barrell Roll around the barrell roll then if you have had enough technical riding head up stuki springs and desend it to the green valley loop/BCP and climb the acid drops and ride down the dirt road back to the car. Or if you want more fun head back to garbage hill climb it and then do the barrell ride and then desend the same dirt road to your car. Not exactly an all day ride either a strong rider could do that ride in 3-4 hours.

PM me

mtbr member
    you guys are awesome, thanks for the trail recommendations

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would do that ride in a different order if it were me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Park at the Bottom of the Zen, Do Zen, then either climb the racecourse washes and go down garbage hill, or take cove wash to the barrell Roll around the barrell roll then if you have had enough technical riding head up stuki springs and desend it to the green valley loop/BCP and climb the acid drops and ride down the dirt road back to the car. Or if you want more fun head back to garbage hill climb it and then do the barrell ride and then desend the same dirt road to your car. Not exactly an all day ride either a strong rider could do that ride in 3-4 hours.
    a VERY strong rider who is accustomed to this type of terrain. I ride Zen all the time and I'm pretty beat after just that!! It's only 7 or so miles but is really rough with a pretty good elevation change plus all the short ups/downs. The ride you just described would be a lot of fun but for someone that doesn't ride this stuff a lot I'd say do Zen take a break at the car, ride barrel trail (awsome trail, stiff climb to start, fun tech descent with jumps) back to the car, drive to barrell roll trail head and ride it, if your still up for more head over to rim the rim trails. My expierence with friends who come down here from SLC is that these trails really beat them up with how rocky they are, how dry it is, and how much work the short up/downs are. Especially if done on a hard tail!

Curious is "garbage hill" the one that drops off the mesa up by the weather station antenna at the top the green valley raceway? Never heard it called that.

Here's a link to utahmountainbiking he does a pretty good job of keeping up on the trails down here. Navigate to the st george area and there is a link to an interactive map that is useful when trying to hook these trails together.
    Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by helibird View Post

Curious is "garbage hill" the one that drops off the mesa up by the weather station antenna at the top the green valley raceway? Never heard it called that.

Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs
    Yup, It was a redneck dumping ground

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15 View Post
    Yup, It was a redneck dumping ground
    The top of dump hill is private property and requires not one, but two fence crossings. There are much better alternatives, i.e. Fingers of Death or the Subway. I am amazed that people still ride that and that you guys are recommending it.

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    The top of dump hill is private property and requires not one, but two fence crossings.
    I've never rode down it but I've always been told two fence crossings are better then one

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Maybe we are talking about different hills.

I have never jumped a single fence to do the ride I described. Also from what I understand most of the land the racecourse is on is private property. At one point they had a sign up at the parking lot announcing the subdivison that was going to be built there. Fortunatly and most likely due to the housing market the develoopment has not happened yet. So if you are riding that area at all your more likely then not on private property. Garbage Hill just happens to be right next to the barrell trail which is one of my favs.

PM me

Big B's Trails
    I ride the zen>race course loop and it's a good solid ride for it only being 12-13 miles, one of my favs is if you park in the bloomington neighborhood and then ride up the paved climb and over on the dirt roads(good warmup) to the zen loop then racecourse(climb, not the dh)to top of barrels but instead of dropping barrels going down clavicle to the jump section( bearclaw poppy) and back to car
    I dig dirt!

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    I have never jumped a single fence to do the ride I described. Also from what I understand most of the land the racecourse is on is private property. At one point they had a sign up at the parking lot announcing the subdivison that was going to be built there. Fortunatly and most likely due to the housing market the develoopment has not happened yet. So if you are riding that area at all your more likely then not on private property. Garbage Hill just happens to be right next to the barrell trail which is one of my favs.
    There are two ways off the backside of the Racecourse/ Barrel hill. Dump hill as described here in, has fences up.
    The second and lesser known, is accessed from the top of the wash about halfway through the Barrels, just after the steep nastiness. It used to be fenced but the throttle twisters that pioneered the route did away with that post haste. If you take that down you end up midway up they Baseline trail (not on any map I have seen) Take that North to Stucki or South to Bearclaw.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Maybe a little off topic here, but what the hell is with the dead cow laying across the trail on Zen? I've never seen cattle in that area before, seems a little random.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KO21 View Post
    Maybe a little off topic here, but what the hell is with the dead cow laying across the trail on Zen? I've never seen cattle in that area before, seems a little random.
    What part of Zen was the cow on? I was just up there recently and didn't see any dead ones. Although, I did see cattle out on the downhill portion once last year...
    The new Energy Bar - CocoNutz Fuel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sorry for the thread drift, but . . .

If you've got one day, Zen or Gooseberry? A friend and I are going to be in Vegas and will be making a day trip to the area. I've ridden Gooseberry and would be completely happy doing it again but, I'd like some opinions about Zen, which sounds like a good alternative.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_amador View Post

If you've got one day, Zen or Gooseberry? A friend and I are going to be in Vegas and will be making a day trip to the area. I've ridden Gooseberry and would be completely happy doing it again but, I'd like some opinions about Zen, which sounds like a good alternative.
    Zen is cool and definitely worth doing, but remember, it's only 7-8 miles long and takes less than two hours to ride. You can string together Zen and Barrels to get a 12-13 mile ride that takes most groups 3-4 hours.

You can do Gooseberry in 3-4 hours (or less) but you can also spend all day up there and not run out of fun stuff to do. If you do, there's always Little Creek Mesa just across the way or Grafton Mesa off the North end of the gooseberry and some other options to extend things.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_amador View Post

Do Zen and then you have a ton of options--Bearclaw Poppy, Barrel Trail, Stucki Springs, etc. I did a day of Gooseberry then a day of Zen + the Green Valley area trails and definitely enjoyed the Zen trails better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thezaugg View Post
    What part of Zen was the cow on? I was just up there recently and didn't see any dead ones. Although, I did see cattle out on the downhill portion once last year...
    I rode it again on Saturday and it was gone. The cow was by the single track close to the power station. Maybe I hallucinated it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I agree with krob deffinately go with goose. But if your set on wanting to hit zen do it then add in barrells trail have lunch and head over and so barrel roll and the rim trails in santa clara that would make for a good 6 hrs of riding.

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by KO21 View Post
    I rode it again on Saturday and it was gone. The cow was by the single track close to the power station. Maybe I hallucinated it.
    Ive seen a few dead cows near the bottom between the wash and the DT over the years or at least a pile of bones, but never laying on top the Singletrack. What a wonderful sight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by helibird View Post
    I agree with krob deffinately go with goose. But if your set on wanting to hit zen do it then add in barrells trail have lunch and head over and so barrel roll and the rim trails in santa clara that would make for a good 6 hrs of riding.
    I guess ultimately it depends on which type of riding you enjoy the most. Gooseberry is classic in that it provides all of the slickrock-esque technical riding, short ups / downs for the entire ride. Zen + the other trails have some of the technical riding, but also have more classic singletrack. Best case? Get two days out there and do both.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I read this somewhere but deffinately agree. Zen is like gooseberry but on a slope. Similar riding but on zen is a lot more work due to the climbing, but also some fast descents that goose is lacking

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Not sure if this helps - But I rode Zen within my first 10 rides mountainbiking. It was intense, but doable. About 3/4 of the way down I blew out a tube and didn't have a proper spare. I rode a generic Giant hardtail.