parenting for gnarness

Zen Trail, Friday Oct 1 morning

I'm visiting St. George for the marathon, and will have the morning to ride. Zen looks like a hoot and in-town. Would like company, as i've never ridden it before. I'm a capable tech rider with good fitness and attitude - i ride South Mtn in Phx, but i'm nothing special. Hoping to start pretty early before it gets hot.
    Jason

I'd rather be biking...
    Hope your not planning on running the marathon sat. You'll be wanting to ride Zen again....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey Cholla,

I think I rode with you on one of those south mtn fling rides. Post up what time you plan on riding. If I don't end up volunteering at the rampage, I'd be happy to meet ya at the top of green valley. Although, I'm pretty sure your fitness level is way above mine

parenting for gnarness
    i'd like to start as early as possible, but late arrival and new TH probably means 7... not sure how long it will take to get there from downtown?

I'm following the directions on this page, were you talking about meeting at the start of the dirt road?

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/zen.htm

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    i'd like to start as early as possible, but late arrival and new TH probably means 7... not sure how long it will take to get there from downtown?

I'm following the directions on this page, were you talking about meeting at the start of the dirt road?

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/zen.htm
    Yup - park where the pavement turns to dirt at the top. Should take 10-15 minutes from downtown. South on Bluff, right on Black Ridge, right on Dixie, watch for the left onto Canyon View - there's a small sign for green valley spa. Anyone else up for a morning ride?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hoping to join you on the trailhead. Haven't ridden Zen yet, but I have it on the GPS ready to go.

Look for you at 7.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    Hope your not planning on running the marathon sat. You'll be wanting to ride Zen again....
    crikey its supposed to be 100 on Saturday. my wife is running, she's gonna die, i'll be in the pool with the kids. i thought summer only stayed til Tday here in Phx

mtbr member
    Cholla, tell us how it is. Might head that way to check it out.
    JRA

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    You don't need to wait. Zens awesome. Never lets me down. Good solid climb with a always rewarding technical descent to the valley floor below...

The Grotto

Photobucket

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    thanks mfshop for the tour, and shelbster for the beta. Zen was a lot of fun, and you really cant beat how close it is to town. Some pics and blather on my blog here:

http://chollaball.net/blog/2010/10/m...st-george.html

Helimech - if you are in town or a great ride just off the highway its totally worth it. its mostly intermediate techy, nothing much double-black like the Dells or some of Somo, and only ~1hr spinning time. i did 2 laps and some time on Bearclaw Poppy trail to get a good long morning. You will definitely have fun, but won't find it as challenging as some of the tuff gnar you like.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice pics. Zen is an awsome trail. One of your pic captions says "a mile approach of mild ledgey doubletrack led us onto the sandstone mesa for some mostly-intermediate techy goodness" Mostly-Intermediate!?! I must suck cause I have trouble with a ton of those obstacles. Thats the best part of that trail, it usually takes me a good 2-3 hours to ride that trail because I'm always trying obstacles several times. To me Zen is probably the hardest/most technical ride in SG.