mtbr member
    Jun 2011

XC coach wanted in Moab

I'm looking for an XC coach in Moab. I'm new to racing but want to train seriously and am willing to put in the time. PM me or reply to this thread if you or someone you know might be interested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Options

I think you should think carefully about if you really need a coach. If you are new to racing I would say the answer is most likely no. Have a look at the XC racing and Training forum and there are many good threads about the pros and cons of coaching. I know very little of your situation but for most riders/ aspiring races I don't think a coach is worth the cost until have reached the elite and beyond. Read some books on the topic ( Training Bible - Joe Friel, Performace cycling Dave Morris, etc. Ride alot, race frequently, rest alot and know that what you eat is just as important as how much you train. Race for at least one season and then reasses. Coaches do have some big advantages (accountability, structure, planned rest etc) but generally I think you will have more fun just riding and racing and learning to get faster on your own.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    I think you should think carefully about if you really need a coach. If you are new to racing I would say the answer is most likely no. Have a look at the XC racing and Training forum and there are many good threads about the pros and cons of coaching. I know very little of your situation but for most riders/ aspiring races I don't think a coach is worth the cost until have reached the elite and beyond. Read some books on the topic ( Training Bible - Joe Friel, Performace cycling Dave Morris, etc. Ride alot, race frequently, rest alot and know that what you eat is just as important as how much you train. Race for at least one season and then reasses. Coaches do have some big advantages (accountability, structure, planned rest etc) but generally I think you will have more fun just riding and racing and learning to get faster on your own.
    After years of racing both coached and on my own this ^^^^^ is good advice
    I dig dirt!

Bike Snob
    I will be willing to relocate to Moab and train you using my plethora of knowledge. I will only require $55k a year with benefits including dental.

PM me with your info and we'll get started.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Moab Coach or Moab Skills Building by Workshop

It may be helpful to enroll in a Mountain Bike Skill Workshop already occurring in Moab for 2012. I am to new to the forum to share a link with you, so google Moab Utah for Retreats, Workshops and Courses -- Medical, Creative, Skills and open a Typepad Blog page or Free Press Release entry listing the dates in 2012 known to be in Moab at this time.
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the people that responded seriously. I've done some reading and definitely need to do some more. The main thing I'm concerned about is injury prevention. In college I was fortunate to only really have one injury running (combination of overtraining and biomechanics), but with the added complications in cycling I thought it might be helpful to have some good advice... especially on things that I don't want to figure out by trial and error (like injury prevention)

So really I guess I was hoping to find someone that could help me write out a training plan for the next 6 months and get my bike setup, not a day to day coach.. I guess more like a one time thing. I'm a volunteer and not allowed to seek outside work, so I'm pretty poor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Check with local shops

A good bike fit is that starting point for injury prevention. Check local shops and see if they have an "expert bike fitter" maybe someone here will have some reccomendations for someone in moab. I like the Specialized BG bike fit system developed by Andy Pruit. Check out his book THE COMPLETE MEDICAL GUIDE FOR CYCLISTS. Its only as good as the fitter and unfortunatly the big S will let basically anyone get certifited, so there is a big variation of expertise.

You could also look into a prebuit training plan from somewhere like LWcoaching.com. Great value for the money.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Bike Snob
    You didn't think I was serious?

Grizzly
    Injury prevention is easy. Don't crash.

But really, talk to Lynda Wallenfels (lwcoaching.com). She isn't one of those coaches that just talks. She races and wins. And she's sharp. She offers one-time consultations, as well as full-time coaching. As far as a plan goes, her pre-built plans are excellent. The sport-level XC plan would probably be a good fit for you.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey