Paste eater

Worth coming north?

Like everyone else and their brother, we'd like to get out of town for the long memorial day weekend. Preferably somewhere a bit cooler. Since we're in Moab Colorado/Wasatch is the obvious option. we're not afraid of some drive time, but it's my understanding that even with the dry year, the high country is still under snow.

So is anything worth the drive from Moab or should we maybe think about heading down to St George for some even hotter weather ?

mtbr member
    Park City? There is Arcylon, Trailside park (which I hear is currently being expanded), and lots of other super fun stuff (xc to dh). Sundance is close by and fun for a day, too, but there's a SD and DH race there this weekend.

Paste eater
    Park City sounds fun. Is it worth the trip right now? Also, any recommendation on dog friendly camping. Not really into the KOA style cramped spots. Prefer something a little more private. Rustic is fine.

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    I heard the trails up American Fork Canyon are open, there are some really good rides up there and the camping is going to be really quiet right now. In Park City, Glenwild is open and it was featured in Mountain Bike magazine a few months back as a hot spot for riding. Its pretty sweet stuff. Deer Valley and Park City Mountain Resort both have trails that are well worth the drive up but if they are clear of snow they are probably still muddy. That said, I think if you came up this weekend you should have plenty of stuff to ride.

mtbr member
    In Park City, except for a couple of downed trees, everything to about 8500 is pretty clear. Above that, as of yesterday, is sketchy. Gave up on Robs/Colins at about 8500 feet. Sweeny's/John's/midmountain to Spiro are good. Flying Dog, Glenwilde and Round Valley are good. The Bonneville Shoreline to Bobsled is good as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Park City sounds fun. Is it worth the trip right now? Also, any recommendation on dog friendly camping. Not really into the KOA style cramped spots. Prefer something a little more private. Rustic is fine.
    Not much in the way of camping in PC (at least that I've found), especially compared to Moab style....often stay at an RV park by Kimball Junction that has lower tent sites along a section of river....pretty quiet and "rustic" by PC standards, and they are dog friendly, but not really that great of a place compared to less posh areas. There are some FS sites in the general vicinity of Midway, and throughout Provo canyon as well as its surrounding mountains, but I'd expect these to be busy this weekend, if they are even open.

mtbr member
    Ever ride in the Swell? Some good stuff there....Goodwater Rim is one the best rides around, though not technical in any way. 5 Miles of Hell is there too. Maybe not the best selection of trails, but there's just something about the Swell that keeps me coming back. There are also some under-rated trails in Price that would be close enough to include.

mtbr member
    Just watched the weather forecast for Utah (and my part of Nevada) and it's supposed to be cooling and rainy this weekend up north. Might consider St. Geogre/Hurricane (Catch Thunder Mountain on the way) or maybe Sedona/Flag.

All the stuff here in Ely is melted off and ready to go except maybe the very highest ridges (above 9,000-10,000 ft). We're about 5.5 to 6 hours from Moab. Here's the weather forecast for Ely. Looks like 30-40% chance of rain Friday and Saturday but Sunday and Monday look good to go.

Might look at Vernal too. There's some good riding up there.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-21-2012 at 10:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Might look at Vernal too. There's some good riding up there.
    Ooooooh, good call! Pretty sure their NUMB Fest is this weekend, too....amazing community of MTBers and local trail builders out there. We went last year, met some awesome people, and had an absolute blast. Group rides were hella fun. New baby this year is going to prevent any travel this weekend, but it would be at the very top of my list if we could. Lots of camping and lots of very high quality fast and flowy trails!

Contact Altitude Cycle in Vernal for info....one of the best shops in UT.

mtbr member
    Maybe check out Eagle.....not a long drive for you will be cooler and the trails should be riding really nice around there now.