Thread: Winter Shoes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Winter Shoes

Anyone here have experience with some cold weather shoes. I am looking at the Specialized Defroster and shimanos winter shoe. Any suggestions on others to look at, or experience with these shoes. Hard to try them on since I can't find a shop that carries them so it looks like I just have to buy online and hope they fit and work well enough to be worth 200 bucks. Options??
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

...a wiggle theres a way
    I was looking at picking up a pair of lakes winter riding shoes, but stopped for two reasons:
    a) Cost
    b) Cleat acting as a heat sink and possibly making my feet more cold (not sure about this but noticed during the summer and long SPD rides that my foot would warm up)
    c) and the thought of being clipped in and hitting black ice on my morning 530am commute

What i have done instead is I am using
    1. flat pedals
    2. wool socks
    3. rotating between one of three pairs of shoes (adidas, doc martins, and colombia outdoor shoes)
    This combination has served me pretty well, my feet have gotten tingly cold a few times (my water also froze at mile 4 - 13minutes into my ride to give you an idea of temp), but for the most part my feet are comfortable.

** I will probably end up purchasing a pair of timberland winter(waterproof) boots to start using when we start getting snow. so my feet stay warm and dry.

good luck! let us know what you end up going with

mtbr member
    I've had a few pairs of winter spd shoes over the years and for the last three seasons I've been using the Pearl Izumi GTX. I've learned a few things:

1. They are narrow. The one thing that has been consistent with all the winter spd shoes I've owned is that they are narrow. I buy a full size larger than I wear as a street shoe and they still feel narrow with any sock thicker than a traditional cycling sock. Next time around I'll be buying a pair that is 1-1/2 sizes larger than I normally wear.
    2. They are really designed to be worn down to about 30F, but I don't start wearing them until that temp. At about 20 degrees I can get 1 - 1.5 hrs before my toes get cold.
    3. If you really want to ride SPD in the cold 20F - 0F then also get a pair of the Pearl MTB winter shoe covers. Buy them at least 1 size bigger than recommended. Then you can wear thin socks and still be warm down to about 0F which is a pretty rare temp in SLC.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Options

I have wimpy toes and fingers that get really cold really easily (Raynaud's syndrome). This is my set up.

1. Wool socks (long)
    2. Neoprene thin socks over the wool socks
    3. My standard summer mtb shoes
    4. Thick neoprene/fleece Performance shoe covers

Using this system my wimpy toes stay comfy into the teens easily. If its much colder than that my fingers are the limiting factor even w/lobster gloves and hand warmers!