mtbr member
    May 2010

Winter biking in N. Utah

I'm looking to bike a bit more this winter. I have a road bike, but would like to do some mountain biking as well. I occasionally head to Moab or St. G, but would like something that's closer to scratch the fat tire itch.

I don't have a fat bike, nor do I really want to invest in one to ride just a few days out of the year (yes, I've ridden them, but fat and heavy isn't my kind of summer riding style). But I do have a bike with some fatter tires, so I was thinking of doing more of cross country type riding on packed snow trails/roads. Anyone know of any graded and/or XC ski trails that can be used for biking? Something a bit wider than singletracks. Most singletracks get well-packed down by snowshoers, but with the trail being so narrow, one little slip means getting stuck. I've biked up Temple Quarry with success in the past, but had to wait well-after a snow fall so it would get packed down enough.

mtbr member
    The road that runs past the Jeremy Ranch golf course and the Flying Dog trailhead is well packed in the winter, with almost no vehicle traffic. It also gets you up out of the valley smog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Bikes are allowed on groomed track at Round Valley

mtbr member
    Are there any fat bike groups that get together there in the winter?

Your Best Friend
    If you are on Facebook, look up "fat bike Utah". The trails in Round Valley are awesome as well as the roads around American Fork canyon. A fat bike is well worth the purchase, even if you only use it for four months of the year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I ride trails year round the past couple of years and live in Alpine. The Lambert Park trails seem to always be good. They have a lot of rock base so they drain the water really well. Some of my fastest ride times are in the rain As for the snow, I usually ride the lower half of the trails between the water tank and Box Elder like Zag, Middle, River, High Bench and Lambert Luge. There are several connecting trails between these and it's easy to mix it up and get good rides in with out riding the same trail over and over. With lots of Southern Exposure it stays fairly clear and nice to ride, plus it rides a little warmer.