mtbr member

Will be in Park City Friday 20th/ Guided Ride ??

I will be in Park City on Friday the 20th armed with my mtb. I would like to ride one of your top notch rides. It would be great if a local (s) would be able and willing to show me around for the day or half day. I may be a bit tired from the road riding by that time, hard to say right now of the below mentioned road ride tour I'm on.

I'm from Denver and doing a seven day road ride loop with a tour out of Salt lake. Friday is a day off or actually the last day of the tour for us and heading back Saturday AM. We're supposed to ride back to SLC on Saturday but I plan on taking the UTA back to SLC after thursday's ride from PC and picking up my truck from the hotel and heading back to PC.

I'm an experienced strong rider in my 50's. Been racing for 25 years but my passion is for trail riding, tech stuff and FR stuff with moderate drops. For the bike ill have with me, keep'em to about 3 foot ! (Santa Cruz TB/LT)

So if anyone is up for this please pm me. Thx !

mtbr member
    You wont find much in the PC area in the way of FR stuff with 3 foot drops. Bob's basin maybe, but I think you'd be underwhelmed. The trails that fit the bill for you are off of the Deer Valley lift served area, but they've closed. Mostly, it's buff singletrack with some limited tech climbing. If I think of anything, I'll drop you a line....not sure if I'll be around....

mtbr member
    I think our "best" local trail is the Wasatch Crest. My favorite route is Guardsman to the bottom of Mill Creek Canyon, about 22 miles and over 5k ft descent (with about 1200 ft climbing mixed in). Definitely not free ride at all, but it is some rocky tech mixed in with some smooth cruising. I take my friends and family on this trail when they come from out of state, and it is always a hit. The Guardsman to Mill D route is shorter, but I think the portion from the Spine to the bottom of Mill D very fun. There are lots of routes to ride some of the Crest from the Park City side, but I am unfamiliar with them.

If you really want free ride, the Canyons should still be open. It is a fun place to ride, and there isn't anything there too big (I ride my Enduro there). The Road to Arcylon trail is a free ride trail that is a lot of fun, you could do a few laps up there. There is some bigger stuff on that trail, but nothing too crazy. Bob's Basin is fun for an off-day or early season ride, but it is in no way one of our best local rides.

Are you driving back to Denver? You could always leave here Thurs pm and hit the Whole Enchilada in Moab on Friday (that is probably what I'd do if schedules could be aligned).

Good luck!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    I think our "best" local trail is the Wasatch Crest. My favorite route is Guardsman to the bottom of Mill Creek Canyon, about 22 miles and over 5k ft descent (with about 1200 ft climbing mixed in). Definitely not free ride at all, but it is some rocky tech mixed in with some smooth cruising. I take my friends and family on this trail when they come from out of state, and it is always a hit. The Guardsman to Mill D route is shorter, but I think the portion from the Spine to the bottom of Mill D very fun. There are lots of routes to ride some of the Crest from the Park City side, but I am unfamiliar with them.

If you really want free ride, the Canyons should still be open. It is a fun place to ride, and there isn't anything there too big (I ride my Enduro there). The Road to Arcylon trail is a free ride trail that is a lot of fun, you could do a few laps up there. There is some bigger stuff on that trail, but nothing too crazy. Bob's Basin is fun for an off-day or early season ride, but it is in no way one of our best local rides.

Are you driving back to Denver? You could always leave here Thurs pm and hit the Whole Enchilada in Moab on Friday (that is probably what I'd do if schedules could be aligned).

Good luck!
    Thanks all for the input. I don't have to have FR stuff but appreciate the suggestions. How accessible is the Wasatch Crest trail you mention here from the PC area, that sounds like a great ride although I probably would prefer local company guidance on it. Please let me know if you think you'll be available.

I will be going to Moab the wknd of Oct 11th and doing the WE Saturday, killer ride ! I have been a fan of Moab since 85' got married there overlooking Bull Canyon and visit 2-3 x a year.

mtbr member
    Here are some routes:

The easiest way up to the Crest is via Armstrong and Pinecone...about 2800 feet of climbing. Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

Here's a much more fun but punishing route to the ridge. Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

Once on the Crest, you can go north and eventually down Colin's to the road back to PCMR. Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

You can do the reverse, also. It's probably close to 4000 feet of climbing.

For FR, there's the Road to Arcylon right off I-80. Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

For a middle chain ring fun ride, Flying Dog. I prefer it clockwise, but if you don't like semi-rocky descending switchbacks (for some reason) counter clockwise works, I suppose. Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    As has been discussed many times here, PC has very little tech/freeride stuff to do.

Here is my suggestion for a loop starting in PC (ie no shuttle required) that will get you some fun semi-tech stuff and some options for some FR/jump trails mixed in:
    -Park at the lower lot (just off the roundabout, free) at the Canyons. Bus stops here too if you're riding the bus up.
    -Ride the bike path or highway to Park City and make your way to the main resort parking lot.
    -Climb Armstrong or Spiro/MidMountain to Pinecone to the Crest.
    -Ride North on the Crest to Canyons and descend via a route of your choice. My vote: Insurgent/Holly's, which will be fun on your bike and have a bit of drops/jumps/etc to get some air time. Keep in mind that the bottom half of Holly *theoretically* can have uphill traffic/hikers.

You can also go find some semi-tech stuff to the south at Deer Valley but I wouldn't call any of it the "best" local riding. The really classic Park City rides are really all pretty non-technical, for better or for worse.

Do not, at all costs, be talked into riding the lift (if it's still running) at the Canyons. It's possibly the worst "bike park" on earth.

There is some fun tech/DH riding off the Shoreline trail in SLC proper, but it A) requires some VERY steep (think 15-20% the whole time) climbing, and B) is impossible to find without a local to show you. It's also hard to piece together more than about a 5 minute descent that's really long-travel worthy.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Hey hey, I should be available to ride that day. I moved to SLC from Denver a year ago. I won't know if I'm free all day till a few days before, but I can certainly give you some really good beta on stuff to ride if it doesn't work out for me.
    There isn't much real techy stuff to be had, especially compared to the daily JeffCo stuff outside of Denver, but we do have miles and miles of faaaast, swoopy goodness like Kenosha Pass or Buff Creek(but with real dirt). If you're gonna be starting the day in PC, I think we should to a Crest to Canyons shuttle. You'll be stoked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post
    Thanks all for the input. I don't have to have FR stuff but appreciate the suggestions. How accessible is the Wasatch Crest trail you mention here from the PC area, that sounds like a great ride although I probably would prefer local company guidance on it. Please let me know if you think you'll be available.

I will be going to Moab the wknd of Oct 11th and doing the WE Saturday, killer ride ! I have been a fan of Moab since 85' got married there overlooking Bull Canyon and visit 2-3 x a year.
    Others will have more info on riding the Crest from PC. I'm a shuttler from the SLC side myself, so I'm probably not who you want to ride with! (although if schedules work out, I hope to be shuttling Guardsman - Mill Creek the afternoon of the 20th). Another good website for information on trails and routes is utahmountainbiking.com, although I don't know how up to date it is on all the PC options -- they have been cutting in lots of trails on that side from what I understand.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    OK ! To flowtron and Tystevens (above two posts) maybe coordinate between the three of us if that works or one or the other however we can work it out sounds great ! BTW I have no shame in shuttleing....especially after a weeks worth road riding in your mountains, ill probably be a little tired ! I will pm both of you, leave my email address and cell #. Thanks for all the imput, always fun to do new stuff.

mtbr member
    Good luck guys....bring warm rain gear (and maybe a portable lightning rod)!

mtbr member
    Well...FWIW. I'm taking the UTA from PC Friday AM, picking up my truck/MTB in SLC and heading back to PC. Will be around the whole day and would still like to MTB with a local. Please let me know if any of you can show me around. Thx !

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    deer valley is not closed, just the chairlift, fyi.