mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Whole Enchilada route description?

I'm planning on riding TWE, or as much of it is open, early May.
    I'm looking for detailed route descriptions, similar to the "Mountain Biking Moab" Falcon guide descriptions.
    Is it a pretty obvious trail the whole way? Can it be done from a map only?
    I've ridden the classic porcupine rim part but nothing above that.

Thanks!

alien exchange student

Whole Enchilada

Howdy, in early May you will likely only get to ride the Kokopelli Down portion of TWE. In most years, even Kokopelli can be messy in May. I know that the shuttles were running folks up to that spot last week but it is always best to check in a local bike shop before you plan. A big rain (or snow) can change things quickly.

The route from Kokopelli is pretty straightforward. The shuttles will all be very helpfull from the top. The trail is an obvious doubletrack that heads down from the LaSal Loop Rd. right near a small "D" turnout where there will most likely be a few parked vehicles. Once you are on Kokopelli you will see signs at every key junction (unless somebody has stolen or damaged them). The upper stuff (UPS/LPS) will drop you off at the Porcupine Overlook. You will certainly recognize it if you've been there before.

Cheers!

Mel
    More riding tips than the Kama Sutra!

mtbr member
    Just read the basic route description and you'll be fine. No confusing turns or anything like that -- as long as you generally understand where you are going. Also, there are always so many people on the trail, there should be plenty of people who can give you directions.

The only place I've ever heard of anyone getting lost or confused is where LPS meets up w/ the Porc rim trail coming up from Sand Flats. I have heard of a few people somehow missing the sign and mistakenly heading down the road toward Sand Flats and the tanks, but if you find yourself going against the flow of all of the riders coming up, you know you're going the wrong way.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here's my ride report with a map of hazard down

Hazard-Porcupine Rim
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

thanks

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes.