Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I <3 Dirt

Whole Enchilada in May?

Any guesses on how early Whole Enchilada may open up? I know it's too early to know 100% but any educated guesses would be appreciated. I'm considering a trip in May but wasn't sure how early or late to go.

Bored Carp
    Moab is melting out fast, but it is rare that the WE is rideable in May. If it happens any year, this is the year - the ridges are already bare in the La Sals.

Of course, a 30 inch storm or 4 would change that.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

I <3 Dirt
    Thanks Chuky. I was wondering whether your winter has been as dry as California's. Guess we'll have to see how things play out this spring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Going to be out there at the beginning of May so I'm watching the weather closely and praying for warth weather and no more storms. It's the only time I can make it and I'd really like to do the WE.

mtbr member
    Same we have a group ride planned for the WE but we might start at Hazard- seems likely to be clear from there if this weather holds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It is possible to be up there by May, but the problem is that Burro is dark and narrow and the light does not get in there. Hence, the snow can sit down in there for a long time. The mountain will look dry, but the snow will be 3 feet drifts on the burro trail. Its snowing up there right now, but the week looks like it will warm fast. Check with the bike shops around early May and they can give you some good info.

Burro is not a lot of fun with snow drifts on it. You end up hiking the whole way and there is no flow. Burro is more likely to be running in mid june, unless the temperatures keep running warm like they have been. It has been spring in Moab for a month now. The season is running warm and the mountain will likely be running a month earlier if the trend continues.

I <3 Dirt
    Thanks Punta. I'll hope for the best and will just watch the Utah forum as we get closer to May.

mtbr member
    Probably HazArd down would be doable.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Last year Hazard was not open at the end of May. The trail was muddy. And was almost too cold. The wind was blowing, and I was wishing I had my jacket. 30 min later I was ok. I wonder how much colder it is at the top. Do the trees act as a wind break?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Super cold up at 11,000 feet on top of burro in a narrow canyon that does not see a lot of sun even in the summer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What are the chances of Hazard down being rideable in early April?

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by adzints7 View Post
    What are the chances of Hazard down being rideable in early April?
    Not good. I rode LPS Saturday and it was awesome. Yesterday and today it snow/hailed. Not awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Man I was really hoping to ride WE in May as well. I'm planning on spending a week in Moab in mid May.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Early June? Trip planned for first week of June to Durango, Moab and Keystone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you can do hazard down, that will be awesome as thats the best part. I have friends who'd rather skip burro and start at hazard. If you can, try and do the whole thing. Heres a map of hazard down
    Hazard-Porcupine Rim
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks, weather has been a roller-coaster. Hopefully we have some luck and it dries up. Thanks for the map.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Anybody ride Hazard down or have an update on trail conditions? Heading out on Monday, hoping the down part of the Enchilada.

Paste eater
    Shuttles were going as high as UPS last weekend. Then snow wiped out LPS/UPS. Got LPS back a few days later. I suspect UPS might be back now too.

Paste eater
    kokopelli down as of today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the info!

It looks like we are going to have to pick between Mag 7 and whatever portion of TWE is open. Any thoughts? 2 Days riding with a possible 1/2 day on the way out of town. Thinking Amasa Back and Barlett Wash on day one. TWE or Mag 7 on day 2.

Paste eater
    Depends what you prefer I guess. Mag7 is harder physically and longer if you ride all the way to Portal.

Also, If you like tech, you can easily spend 4+ hours on Amasa if you include the look out, pot hole, rockstacker, Jacksons...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks Jwind for the insight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

ride report

Quote Originally Posted by adzints7 View Post
    Anybody ride Hazard down or have an update on trail conditions? Heading out on Monday, hoping the down part of the Enchilada.
    Don't forget to post your ride report when you return!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    snowed again this weekend. Hazard is still a no go, but warm weather is coming.

I <3 Dirt
    California got nailed on Friday so maybe it was the same storm. Looks like some high pressure will be coming our way, so hopefully it'll melt things down. Thanks for the updates. Can't wait to get back on Amasa's network of trails too and try Mag 7. Are there any other technical trails around Moab similar to rockstacker/Jacksons?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast