Tigers love pepper...

White Rim - what am I not thinking of?

So we are doing White Rim April 4-7. Big group, 3 nights. Campgrounds are Gooseberry B, Candlestick & Taylor (going clockwise). Will have three support vehicles.

Things we might not think of as mostly first timers to White Rim?
    Side hikes and points of interest not to miss?
    Tips for keeping the coolers cold for 4 days (dry ice vs. ice blocks, etc).
    Looks like avg temps are hi 70 low 40.

Your Best Friend
    The nights are COLD! Bring plenty of warmth for the evenings around the fire. You will be worn out after a day of riding and your body temp seems to fall off quicker. There is no better way to have a trip be miserable than to be cold and not get any sleep at night.

Make sure to do lots of exploring. I dont' know the fitness of your group but I've found that on 3 day trips, I have time to see it all. I also put in a lot of miles because of all the riding back and forth. I also do not like going clockwise but that is just me. It's really fine either way.

Most of all, just make sure your focus is on fun and not on pounding out the miles.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    The nights are COLD! Bring plenty of warmth for the evenings around the fire.
    I thought camp fires weren't allowed? Fire pan?

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    So we are doing White Rim April 4-7. Big group, 3 nights. Campgrounds are Gooseberry B, Candlestick & Taylor (going clockwise). Will have three support vehicles.

Things we might not think of as mostly first timers to White Rim?
    Side hikes and points of interest not to miss?
    Tips for keeping the coolers cold for 4 days (dry ice vs. ice blocks, etc).
    Looks like avg temps are hi 70 low 40.
    Dry ice will freeze liquids solid, so keep that in mind. Modern coolers with ice blocks will easily keep stuff cold for 4 days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A BIG tent, not for sleeping but for preparing, cooking and eating dinner. Can still be cold and windy this time of year. Totally saved my group a few years back on a late March trip. Windy every evening, and cold rain one day. Those conditions can be tough when cooking for a big, hungry, exhausted group.

mtbr member
    Winds can be ferocious if a spring storm system is moving through the area, so enough cordage to keep everything nailed down. As mentioned, the nights will be colder than you think, and they chill FAST that time of year in the des(s)ert.

Block ice should be fine for those temps and that length. Separate your food and drinks so the cooler with meat or dairy isn't opened fifty times a day for somebody just looking for a beer or soda. Label coolers for same reason. Extra ice for evening cocktails.

Extra supplies and tools (full tool kit if you've got it - including chain whip). Spokes, tubes, tires, even extra an extra wheel or two. Full bike stand...or two depending on your group size. That road can dish out a beating on gear.

Have fun.

Tigers love pepper...
    Thanks. Figured the nights would be chilly, but maybe I'll pack a few extra layers. Don't have a big cooking tent worked out yet. Although I do have a friend with a canvas outfitters tent. Shade tent, bike stand, tool kit are all accounted for.

Our group is a big mixed bag of serious riders and very average riders (I'll be closer to the back). I think with 4 days there should be plenty of time to see everything and keep a relaxed pace.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Thanks. Figured the nights would be chilly, but maybe I'll pack a few extra layers. Don't have a big cooking tent worked out yet. Although I do have a friend with a canvas outfitters tent. Shade tent, bike stand, tool kit are all accounted for.

Our group is a big mixed bag of serious riders and very average riders (I'll be closer to the back). I think with 4 days there should be plenty of time to see everything and keep a relaxed pace.
    The bikes will move faster than trucks, especially on that first day to Gooseberry. I would send 2 ahead and only use 1 as a swag wagon. Sucks to stop a lot waiting for vehicles or get to camp and have to wait hours for supplies. Also,don't forget tables and chairs since there aren't any at campsites.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Three support vehicles? I hate to sound snotty ... but I've gone with as many as 15 people and one truck. What are you taking with you? Any reason you want to drive that many vehicles? The driving sucks and so the more vehicles you take, the more driving you have to do. Take the biggest truck you have and leave the others at the trailhead. ( sorry for rant ... not sure why I decided to get bent about it ... do whatever you like, gas is cheap and plentiful and there's nothing better than more traffic. )

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Three support vehicles? I hate to sound snotty ... but I've gone with as many as 15 people and one truck. What are you taking with you? Any reason you want to drive that many vehicles? The driving sucks and so the more vehicles you take, the more driving you have to do. Take the biggest truck you have and leave the others at the trailhead. ( sorry for rant ... not sure why I decided to get bent about it ... do whatever you like, gas is cheap and plentiful and there's nothing better than more traffic. )
    If we can fit in two, we'll gladly leave another behind. One truck is going to have a LARGE water tank taking up the bulk of the bed rendering it rather useless for carrying much else, overkill, bad idea, yup.... not my call.

Also, hard to know what will fit until we all get to the trailhead and combine gear. We have 15 people coming from three different locations meeting there so we can't load ahead of time. The few people that have gone before have said they had two stuffed vehicles with groups of 12 previously.

Thanks for your concern, I'll make sure to purchase some carbon credits on our return.

Diggity Dog
    Three days should give you a lot of time to explore.

Sounds like you have water covered (a whole tank!). A large central tent is a good idea. The winds can be vicious so be prepared. A warm set of clothes is necessary with a decent tent and sleeping bag/mattress. Fires are not allowed unfortunately so don't bother with wood. A good camp stove is a must. Pack it in and pack it out so lots of garbage bags. As little glass as possible, like beer in cans etc. A fresh pair of riding shorts for each day is a good idea. Block ice should work just fine. Those are few suggestions.

Last year they would not allow vehicles down Shafer trail from the visitors center when we were there in March so the sag had to drive all the way back to Moab and up through Potash. I'd call ahead to check conditions. It was a long wait at Gooseberry with the wind howling and temps dropping. Probably won't be a problem this time of year (early April) but with the winter Moab had it's best to check. Someone here might know if Shafer is open to vehicles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for your concern, I'll make sure to purchase some carbon credits on our return.
    Excellent - I don't know why I was having such a hissy fit the other day ... you sound like you've made a thoughtful decision on the vehicles, I was just being a d0uche because its one of those things you can do on the internet more so than in real life...