26er

White Rim Trip - End of March - Advice

We are doing a White Rim Trail Trip on the last weekend of March. Already have reservations for gooseberry and potato bottom which means about 30 miles a day to allow for plenty of sight seeing.

My Tacoma will be providing sag so we won't be suffering too much.

Recommendations for side trips?

Any other tips?

I am hoping the weather is good since we had to cancel a trip two years ago due to conditions....
    Live to ride!

The Family:
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Norco Aline
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I haven't ridden it since 1992 on a rigid Rockhopper so my memory isn't the best but hiking up into Upheaval Dome was nice. We did a lot of short side hikes but I can't remember the names.

mtbr member
    There is a short little slot canyon called the Holeman slot that is right off the trail. It's a nice place to stop and hike down or rest out of the sun.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnPNmkmTSQc
    There is also a nice ruin called the watch tower. It's a couple of miles round trip. It starts right from the top of hardscrabble hill. If you have time you can ride down to the Colorado via Lathrop Canyon near Airport tower site A. about 4 miles round trip and a nice steep climb back out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You really should crawl on up to the vertigo void and lean your face over the edge and take a good long look back behind you and down. Good bouldering is fun to find and there is some excellent trad routes if you climb.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Shafer is closed right now FYI, make sure you call the ranger station right before the trip and see if they decided to open it...
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Don't forget to look over the vertigo void. Ask someone on the trail how to find it.