mtbr member
    Jun 2007

White Rim Trail water

Want to do the White Rim Trail as a self supported multi-day this fall - assuming I can get reservations. What about water along the trail? If I bring my filter can I resupply? Or is stashing the only way to go?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I rode it in 1 day this spring. There is no water anywhere I can recall until you get to the Green River near the end (assuming you ride it clockwise). If you ride it in 1 day, you don't need a reservation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The only access to water is along the Green River sections and you have to let it settle or it will clog your filter instantly.

Too thick to drink and too thin to plow as they say.

I have done self supported White Rim trips and carried up to 3 gallons of water in panniers.

If you go clockwise, your load will have lightened considerably before you have to do any significant climbing.

Makes for a great adventure!

jummo

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just take powdered water.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Don't really want to ride with a group, but need a support team for water I suppose. Can anyone recommend a tour company?

P.S. Powdered water... haha! Freeze dried water? Anyone here play Space Quest back in the day?

Tigers love pepper...
    You can probably buy water from vehicles.... but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that srategy personally.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    my wife and I are thinking about something similar to this next fall as well. or plan is to either pay a tour company to stash water and food at two campsites for us. if they won't do that well have to do it the old fashioned way and carry it on the bikes as mentioned earlier.

mtbr member
    If you drive to the bottom of Schafer Trail or down Mineral Bottom Road (either at the top or bottom of the switchbacks), you can stash water somewhere along the paved road into Canyonlands or at the Mineral Bottom turnoff. That strategy allows you to get a chunk of vertical out of the way without being weighed down with all the water you need.
    And start in the dark to reduce overall water consumption.

We ran into a couple other guys who had used hose clamps to attach an extra couple water bottle holders to their frames to increase water carrying capacity. That seemed like a good idea, but of course not all frames can accommodate that solution.

I've known people to get water off multi-day tours, but when we rode it in a day this past fall, it was right after they heavy thunderstorms that closed Schafer for a day and Hardscrabble for a couple days, which probably caused a lot of trip cancellations. We only saw three or four multi-day groups on a Sunday in October.

Your Best Friend
    We'll be doing the whole White Rim trail in ONE NIGHT (!) On June 21st starting at 7pm. It is the Summer solstice so it is the shortest night of the year and it is also pretty close to a full moon. Should be epic! Have you ever ridden in the high desert at night during a full moon? The scenery is awesome in its own way. Contact Adventure Earth Rides on Facebook for more details.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've done it carrying 170oz of water in cool weather. ( ie: freezing start in the dark + cold finish at dusk ... short late fall day ) If its a weekend, you will see people with trucks/supplies, fairly safe ( depending on your level of comfort ) to bet you could "borrow" some water if you really needed.

I was thirsty when I got done, but I wasn't going to die anytime soon.