Caveman

White Rim with a kid trailer?

It's been almost 10 years since I've been on the white rim... got a kid now and we are thinking about a fall SW tour and the idea of doing the White Rim in Canyonlands has crossed my mind. Anyone out there done it with a kid trailer? bad idea or no problem?
    If my memory serves me right it should not be too bad as far as bouncyness goes.
    Thanks

Bike Snob
    Thankfully kids bounce. So if you take them they will only cry a little bit.

I would not do it unless you have a sag vehicle with you.You never know what could happen and you would look like the worst parent on the planet.

But if you have a vehicle you might as well just put the kid in there.

mtbr member
    How old is your kids?
    What kids of trailer?

2-3 year old might love it. 1 year old - probably too much at that age.

I have seen a HUGE difference between the cheap Walmart kids trailers and the Chariot brand trailer. I took my boy off road with the Chariot when he was 2 and he loved it, but that thing had some suspension and takes the edge off considerably. I had originally bought a cheap Schwinn trailer - looked like it beat him up just riding on the road!

I'm not familiar with that trail itself - just putting a few considerations out there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you are a good rider, and don't crash at all when riding conservatively, I would check out the iBert. I have one, and both my kids love it. It basically is a seat that connects to your steerer tube, so the front fork acts as suspension for them. I would much rather take that than them in a trailer or a rear mounted bike seat. We have done everything from Slickrock to road rides to somewhat technical riding, and the kids always love it. Only drawback is no sun protection, so you would need to slather them up with some sunscreen.

Caveman
    Thanks, would be a 2 yr old, and yes it's the good model chairot.
    Just seeing if anyone else has done it and if they had a good time. I know there are a few slickrock and rocky sections that would need to be taken slow. Thinking 3 days if we could get a water drop.

I did it years back in one day, then again with a bob trailer as an overnighter so know the basic drill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No. Wouldn't even consider it. The only sections not heinously bumpy for a un-suspended kiddie trailer is the Mineral bottom climb and the unrideable sand pits.

With sag, sure. You can experiment with anything if there's a 4x4 SUV on your wheel.

KLF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    No. Wouldn't even consider it. The only sections not heinously bumpy for a un-suspended kiddie trailer is the Mineral bottom climb and the unrideable sand pits.

With sag, sure. You can experiment with anything if there's a 4x4 SUV on your wheel.
    +1
    I don't believe I have ever seen a kiddie trailer there. Sure there are sections that would be fine, but I wouldn't do it. By way of analogy I know a guy who once decided to do the WR on a cyclocross bike. Obviously it can be done, but at this point he does NOT recommend it.

Not really in the same ballpark, but twice I have seen folks with kids in trailers attempting the Slickrock Trail. That is a really bad idea (and they proved it). Darwin at work.

Anyhow, (to the OP) if you try the WR, post back and give us the first hand report.

Really I am that slow
    I think it would be brutal for you and your kiddo, even spreading it over 3 days, maybe an out n back on sand flats road?
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/